Re: [OT] Car insurance craziness

Page 1 of 7
I last year had to get insurance for our "new" (18 years old) second car, a Landrover, Searching the net I put the details into many different sites and got quotes as high as 444 pounds(The AA) the Directlines of this world weren't much better. however I got a quote in the end for 118 pounds fully comp (age 45, NO no claims as it's a second vehicle, limited mileage).
It's very strange the huge diversity of figures when getting quotes!!
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:45:49 +0100, "The Q"

Have you gone ahead yet? I heard NFU are good for Land Rovers.
Gareth
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:22:37 GMT, Gareth Attrill

I recently renewed my Freelander insurance - Peoples Choice beat all other insurance suppliers hands down - including NFU (who aren't too good on the insurance front as far as my Land Rover marque was concerned).
I'm 47, maxed out on no claims bonus, spotless license, max 10K miles per year. The premium was a shade under 300 quid fully comp.
Other insurers that we looked at generally came into the 400-500 range.
I highly recommend Peoples Choice for anyone who might be looking:
http://www.peopleschoice.co.uk /
I guess a regular traction engine land rover might cost a bit less to insure. Freelanders are perhaps a bit more up market and not typically used by Farmer Giles to push cattle around :)
Andrew
I'm 44 with a sporty car. Max no claims, one minor blemish on the licence.
Previous years paid 400 ish, nearly 500 first year. Recent quotes 400+ except www.esure.com which was sub 300.
W.

I presume that's insured as a classic? Much cheaper than normal policies, but there are disadvantages.
--
*Virtual reality is its own reward*

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 20:26:21 +0100, Dave Plowman

Can you please elaborate on the disadvantages?
Andrew

It varies between companies, but in no particular order:-
Must be garaged or off road Must be a second car Restricted mileage Can't be used for business - even travelling to and from normal place of work Doesn't earn a second no claim bonus.
--
*Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 00:20:02 +0100, Dave Plowman

I didn't know that! I was wondering about saving some money by getting an older vehicle, because I know they are exempt from the road fund license, but clearly that's not an option with those options.

That doesn't surprise me.
Andrew
"Andrew McKay" wrote | I didn't know that! I was wondering about saving some money by getting | an older vehicle, because I know they are exempt from the road fund | license, but clearly that's not an option with those options.
AIUI some models of Land-Rover are London Congestion Charge exempt, because they have more than a certain number of seats.
Owain

From what I can see - it just says "Licensed buses with 9 or more seats" (and usually these are excluding the driver's seat). I think the LWB Discoveries with bench seats in the back could have 2x3 on the 2 benches along the sides of the back. 1x3 on the seats behind the driver and 2 seats next to the driver - plus the driver. So 11 seats + driver - however, I think the "Licensed buses" part is the problem with using it as an exemption to the fee. Remember - AFAIK - the exemptions must be registered prior to entering the zone - so you'd need to provide proof of licensed-ness etc - sure someone would notice that a Land Rover != Bus...
Plus - AFAIK, bench seats running along the sides of minibuses are now banned. My old Cadet minibus got scrapped because of this. Too expensive to modify and change the seats to be forward facing.
David Hearn wrote:

I think not. My LWB defender is a 12 seater, I know they have scrapped the center front seat, but I think the rest are still there in the back/back.

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:45:49 +0100, "The Q"

Join the NFU and use their scheme. _Very_ cheap.
What amazes me is that we have to insure each person to drive a car. I used to live in the Middle East (Sultanate of OMAN) in 2000. I bought a new car, a MATIZ only 3000. I insured the 'car' for about 100 fully comp. That insurance meant the car was insured. Anyone who had a valid licence and my permission could drive it on that insurance. A UK licence was legally valid. All insurance in the UK is a total rip off which is why so many people drive with out it. Steve R

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 02:21:25 +0000, parish <parish_AT_ntlworld.com> wrote:

That would be when I was riding a mobi. Can't say as I recall that.
I do recall that when I got my first mobi, a Honda C50, my Mum got the fully comp insurance from the broker when she went into town - a whole year without any no-claims discount, 17 years old - and it cost a fiver. That was in 1973.
Today there would be at least a couple of 0's tagged on the end. Inflation hasn't gone up that much.
Andrew
Andrew McKay wrote:

The sounds about right. A year later my first insurance, on a "fizzy fifty" was 6.10.

Tell me about it. My eldest daughter is coming up to 17 and SWMBO asked the broker for some quotes (TP only, not even F&T) for the daughter driving the wife's old Metro (998cc). He advised her to look on the 'net as "it will be over 2000 from all the companied they deal with"! The best we've found, so far, on the 'net is 936.

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:45:16 +0000, parish <parish_AT_ntlworld.com> wrote:

Ah, the dear old Yammy FS1E - I remember riding a friends around the block one day.

Unbelievable isn't it? My daughter is 15 so we've got a couple of years to go, but I'm not looking forward to her getting her first vehicle.
Andrew
Andrew McKay wrote:

I tried to put this into perspective for my daughter. It costs ~5 each way for a taxi into town and pointed out that 2000 would buy 200 two-way taxi trips per year, about 4 per week.

parish wrote:

IIRC I was quoted over 1500 to get my own insurance on a (old) group 5 car when I started driving 18 years ago!
It the end the only way we get a sensible price, was my mum insured it in her name, but had me added to the policy as a named driver and as the main user. It that way I was able to acquire some no claims and get a bit older so as to bring the prices out of the stratospheare!
--
Cheers,

John.

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 00:21:22 +0000 (UTC), "Essjay001"

You actually have to take other things into consideration. This country has got wonderfully low inflation for example. Now isn't that nice? But hang on.....
Naturally those who aren't asleep at the back realise that governments still like to spend the money trying to convince the voters that their party is worth keeping in power. And the money has to come from somewhere (that's you and me, buster ;)). So they find inventive new ways of adding tax thru stealth means which don't register on the inflation index.
Just a couple of days ago the cost of acquiring a new passport went up by 27% - 10 times the rate of inflation. Norman Lamont (sp.) introduced a tax penalty for buying an airline ticket (can't remember Gordon Brown removing that one). When I started driving 30 years ago the cost of taxing a car was not a lot.
You realise that for each pound you buy at the pumps, 70%+ goes directly to the government - not the oil companies. So it isn't the entire fault of the oil companies that we are paying significant costs to refill the tank.
And so on.
The one thing that Gordon Brown has excelled at is increasing company taxation, and that affects us all. National Insurance contributions for both employee and employer went up by 10% in April this year for example. The insurance companies have to find that money from somewhere, guess what - premiums have had to be increased. And that's another "non-inflationary" increase not measured on the Richter scale.
So it isn't all the insurance companies fault, nice as it may be to think it is. Blaming them is a standard feature of government spin of course.
Andrew
Andrew McKay wrote:

Not to mention they have had half of the pound before you get the the petrol station!
--
Cheers,

John.