Re-oil stains on paving flags

I've managed to lighten some of the stains with Caustic soda but the heavier one's are not budging. These are oil stains that are ground in over some time, will burning them with a parrifin torch burner eradicate them? dont want to go and buy parrafin if it's not going to work.

Thanks

Reply to
ben

I know someone who used a torch on a paving slab. Aparently some paving slabs don't do well at high temperatures, and it cracked sending bits off at high speed. Don't know if it was an air pocket, or the centre expanding due to the heat, with the outer staying cool.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith (UK)

Silly question this but...have you tried and tested this on ground in oil stains on paving flags?

Reply to
ben

I doubt it the stain is from the carbon carried into the substrate by the oil. Undiluted washing up liquid, with just a dash of water if it to thick, worked in with a stiff brush and left for the rain to wash away (eventually) works pretty well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Have you tried a solvent like white spirit or petrol?

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece