Re: News.individual.net, bad news if you're not german

Most have a level far far lower and some have a

> level of zero, this means that if you now want to do business with people > in one of these countries you will have to register in that country for 1 > pound/Euro of sales

Are you sure? My reading of the HMRC site was that this is the purpose of the 'mini one stop shop' - you pay HMRC and they pass it on to the relevant national equivalent.

Reply to
alexd

I was talking from the viewpoint of a company in any of the EU states, not just the UK

It seems clear from NIN's actions that the German's don't have an equivalent of this MOSS and thus the "need to register in every state" applies to them

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Which is fine...but you can only do that if you are VAT registered in the first place. That alone may not be economic for some businesses.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That is one of the options.

Needing a VAT number to join MOSS is a requirement but as this is a voluntary registration you only have to voluntarily register for MOSS. You don't have to voluntarily register your UK trade.

This is all out there on HMG's site(s), couple of minutes reading is all it takes.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How can you deduce that? I'd be rather surprised if Germany didn't have a MOSS equivalent, this change will affect their small companies just like it will affect ours.

NIN could just be saying sod it too much hassle either way, we'll simply cease to trade with the rest of the EU.

There may well be a hidden or political agenda as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I read it through and AIUI even if your business doesn't earn ?81K per year you will still have to register for VAT and send in quarterly returns and any VAT payment due on (at present) telecommunications, broadcast, and e-sales into the EU although on everything from 2016. There is very specifically no requirement to disclose details of the non-VAT UK part of the business.

This does however place quite an onerous load on the business as any mistake can still lead to HMRC fines, so as others have said, unless there is a very certain need to do business into the EU I suspect many small traders will just make the decision not to sell there.

Reply to
Woody

Reliable, and as it's run by a TU's computer centre, very likely to continue to work.

- which makes it all the more annoying that various ISPs couldn't do it reliably, and then stopped for good.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

I'm quite sure you're right. I ranm an in-house one with relatively few users and newsgroups (and no spam filtering) and that was bad enough.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've fopund it a doddle with PayPal.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Amazing - we did something better than Germany.

I'll go and lie down now...

Reply to
Tim Watts

don't I need to pay VAT when I'm buying a gift? Of course I do.

Reply to
charles

In message , at 23:37:06 on Fri, 26 Dec 2014, Tim Watts remarked:

Except since 1st October Germany does have a MOSS scheme:

Reply to
Roland Perry

The NIN registration page no longer mentions the VAT problem. Even so, I've also just bought a few more years' service...

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

No, it's still there, on the 'Step 1' page: "Due to changes in European tax law coming into force on 01.01.2015, we can only offer our service to users which have their tax domicile in Germany."

Reply to
Ian Jackson

In message , at 16:06:49 on Sat, 27 Dec 2014, Tim Streater remarked:

It's more to do with the way that if a law arrives from the EU that's essentially less stringent than the one already existing in the UK, we tend to implement all of the EU law - with the consequence that people later blame it all on the EU.

Elsewhere, when their laws were noticeably less stringent than the new EU one, they often attempt not to bind their citizens any more than previously. If that means turning a blind eye to some of the EU rules, it'll usually eventually catch up with them, but in the short term it can look a bit lax.

Reply to
Roland Perry

According to another discussion about this problem, Brussels released a statement a couple of weeks ago saying it's illegal under EU law to discriminate between purchasers of goods and services based in different EU countries. There was no link to the specific statement though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I ran Sun Microsystems ones for a few years, 10 years ago. ISTR we sat around the 100-150 mark in the top 1000 servers. We piered between several of the well known European servers, and did connections to some small companies. BT actually offered very good usenet peering at the time (although their ISP usenet service wasn't so highly regarded).

It wasn't an officially supported service inside Sun - just best efforts. Mostly it would just run without any problems, but when anything did go wrong, it could tie you up for quite a long time fixing it.

I separated out the peering server from the readers server. The peering server can use a simple cyclic newspool space (a giant single file), whereas the readers servers use a different technique so that different groups get different expiry rules to make best use of the disk space.

If you are offering a commercial usenet service, and if you will be allowing joe public to use it and have to handle complaints and abuse inquiries, then there is actually quite a lot to do.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel