Re: New Electrical Regulations

True. They do seem to think that they do, though.

I can't remember. The only horns I hear are from the mini cabs which call next door. The drivers don't seem to have working legs.

It certainly is very bad in London, otherwise I'd say that I haven't noticed much geographical variation.

The majority - the others - already have it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Perhaps they are both followers of the tradition that they must always drive in the middle lane, whatever speed they are driving at :-((

Dave

Reply to
Dave

So, driving around with your headlights on does not save lives then.

I wish some one would tell those Volvo drivers that. Their headlights are a distraction now that they are not just a bright unfocussed light.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I don't need to practice; I reverse into spaces all the time, I hardly ever drive in - I even reverse into the drive (and so does SWMBO) even though we live on a quiet street not a main road.

I think we have our wires crossed here. I made the comment about "rear wheel steering" which you called "silly". I then asked you for your explanation of why reversing into a space was easier; I didn't mean why do you think reversing is better than driving in forwards, I meant what do you think the reason it is better since you obviously don't think it's having what is effectively rear wheel steering. Perhaps if I'd accented 'you' in "how do *you* explain..." it would have been clearer.

Reply to
parish

Who's telling porkies? That is NOT a valid NI number. I've just checked this with 2 people close to me who work with these numbers every day.

Iain, in Bradford

Reply to
Iain Gordon

You need to practise your spelling.

I reverse into spaces all the time, I hardly

It's even more important on a main road.

Perhaps. I don't feel that it's necessary to explain the manoevre to someone who understands. There's no point explaining to someone who thinks he knows better.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

g> People who think generally make better drivers

Because prople who think think first about their own limitations.

Reply to
Richard Caley

Then I think, from my experiences lately from driving to and from work, that most people nowadays should drive around with their hazard warning lights on as it seems road markings, signs, traffic lights, indications don't count for much.

In the UK it seems that we think are very civilised and have high expectations that others should follow the rules. When you drive somewhere like east-med or middle east it's much much more of a free for all and you drive expecting cars to come from anywhere. That also means that you can put your car anywhere too!

Frustration is having to stop for a automatic pedestrian crossing at

2am in germany when there's no fökker about.
Reply to
adder

This might be the theory, but in practice the US has plenty of it's own kind of "nonsense". e.g. corporate sponsored legislation and legistation never actually read by legislators.

Nothing to stop such a law being passed in the US, since they are a signatory to the "Treaty of the Metre" and the ability to regulate weights and measures is explicitally in the US Constitution.

No doubt there is a lobbying group claiming that speed cameras trample of people's basic rights...

Reply to
Mark Evans

Changing junctions or road markings is expensive, especially working out how to change things in a specific instance. Unlike cameras such changes don't act as a source of revenue...

Reply to
Mark Evans

stuart noble

Reply to
Mark Evans

Most likely with every pedestrian waiting until "the idiot" has passed before thinking about crossing.

Reply to
Mark Evans

Then they have problems with airbags killing people, since in order to be effective an American airbag needs to be powerful enough to restrain an unbelted adult. Whereas in parts of the world where seatbelts are compulsary, they only need to be capable of preventing someone who is already restrained from hitting anything hard.

Reply to
Mark Evans

Possibly there is special training involved to ignore any grey (or white) cables already present. It's a pity no-one appears to make trunking with "no mains" printed all over the inside.

That's so that if someone complains he can claim that his wires were in there first. (Thus it's someone else's fault for putting the data cables in with the mains.)

Reply to
Mark Evans

Let alone addressing the issue of how many of these are due to DIY and how many of these are due to "professionals".

It wouldn't suprise me if more electrical problems are caused by rodents (either pets or vermin) given the way a collegue's gerbil loves to remove insulation from flex.

Reply to
Mark Evans

Just as "Steam gives way to Sail" afloat.

But just try challenging a tanker in your sailing dinghy. Or wandering across a dual carriageway in front of a heavy lorry. You'll find your "right to use the highway" won't count for much in court :-)

Reply to
Laurence Payne

Ahh, but it's that comon sense thing again which is so sadly lacking. What's the statistic?

90% of pedestrians involved in an accident with a vehicle after the hours of darkness are drunk? The crux of the whole speeding laws are a cheap blanket attempt to save people from their own stupidity and like all the other nanny state solutions which take responsibility for peoples actions away from them it is ultimately doomed to failure.

I am a motor cyclist and fit into the category within Hywls mind of bloody lunatic. I disregard speed limits at all times except when when there are cmaeras or policemen and drive instead in a manner I consider to be acceptabl;e for that piece of road. If that happens to be 140 mph then so be it.

I commute 35 miles eachway into and across London every day. The amount of people driving who are on the phone, reading the paper, seemingly have no indicators or fog light off switches, who will change lanes and open doors with no thought whatsoever for the consequences, is astounding. But hey, none of them are speeding ,so that's alright.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Coyne

Even if it were attributed, this statistic is meaningless unless you can show that there is a causal connection between pedestrians being drunk and being involved in an accident with a vehicle. And don't appeal to "common sense", please - "common sense" tells us that the introduction of compulsory front seat belts saved lives, when in fact it increased the death rate: see eg Adams, "Risk", UCL Press; and Harvey and Durbin, RSSJ 149(3), 1986.

Just where did this discussion go from doing all you can to avoid a collision, to speeding?

R.

Reply to
Richard

Hmm. I find that very hard to believe. However, 'scientific' studies produced by lobby groups can always find some statsitical data to show why smoking makes you healthy etc etc.

Dunno.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, that well-known lobby group the peer-reviewed Royal Statistical Society Journal. Why not actually read the references before jumping to conclusions? In fact they show that UK death rates increased by ~8% for pedestrians and ~13% for cyclists with the introduction of seatbelts in cars, far outweighing the net reduction in DR for drivers & front seat passengers.

R.

Reply to
Richard