Re: New Electrical Regulations

Page 10 of 13

float?
In my experience if something is talked about long enough it happens.
Mary

included.
than
And didn't an earlier thread prove just that?
The correct definition of a double yellow line was 'no waiting except for loading or unloading for longer than the working day.'
The DoT did a survey and it showed that most people thought a double yellow meant no parking 24/7 - so in 1999 they changed it to mean exactly that.
--
Woody

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com

yellow
Except when the defining notice says differently.
Mary

That was what I thought and said - and got flamed for it.
Go dig around the DoT web site and you'll see what I mean. There are now only two lines <in> the gutter, double yellow is 24/7, single yellow is everything else defined by signage.
--
Woody

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com

True. They do seem to think that they do, though.

I can't remember. The only horns I hear are from the mini cabs which call next door. The drivers don't seem to have working legs.

It certainly is very bad in London, otherwise I'd say that I haven't noticed much geographical variation.

nothing
The majority - the others - already have it.
Mary

Then I think, from my experiences lately from driving to and from work, that most people nowadays should drive around with their hazard warning lights on as it seems road markings, signs, traffic lights, indications don't count for much.
In the UK it seems that we think are very civilised and have high expectations that others should follow the rules. When you drive somewhere like east-med or middle east it's much much more of a free for all and you drive expecting cars to come from anywhere. That also means that you can put your car anywhere too!
Frustration is having to stop for a automatic pedestrian crossing at 2am in germany when there's no fkker about.

What, you mean I don't have right of way just because I'm approaching the roundabout faster than you?
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:01:01 GMT, Richard Caley wrote:

Add the following locations to that:
Center of traffic lights. Vehicles turning right not crossing behind each other.
Entry slip roads onto motorways or other fast roads. Vehicles not indicating, looking or matching speed as they join.
Lane 2 of any empty motorway. Vehicle traveling at 60mph.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Either crossing behind or in front is acceptable, according to the Highway Code.
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/16.shtml#151

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:50:31 +0000, parish wrote:

To quote that URL:
= 151 You MUST stop behind the white 'Stop' line across your side of = the road unless the light is green. If the amber light appears you = may go on only if you have already crossed the stop line or are so = close to it that to stop might cause an accident. = Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 33
Doesn't seem particulary relevant...
I think you mean rule 157.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Yeah, OK. I just followed a link for traffic lights in the index; didn't notice that the rule numer was in the URL.
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:36:22 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"

Some junctions make it simpler to pass in front.

Don't forget the bozo's already on the motorway who stay in the inside lane at a lower speed when coming up to a slip road onto the motorway.

Never mind the speed they are doing. And besides which, what the hell are you worried about? It's an empty motorway - you aren't there! ;)
Andrew
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 06:32:33 +0100, Andrew McKay wrote:

The easy path cutting the corner and passing in front but then you can't see oncoming traffic properly due to the other car. That is why you should pass behind. You ought to see the looks you get if you pull far enough on to the central area (ie don't cut the corner) such that the other driver has to, correctly, pass behind.

The motorway traffic has right of way, that is why there is a Give Way line across the slip road and the requirement of the joining traffic to match speed be that speed 40mph or 90.
Don't forget the bozo's in lane 1 travelling at Xmph who pull out into lane 2 with traffic travelling at Xmph + N (where N is a positive number) with no regard to the traffic in lane 2.

Touche. But we drive on the left in this country not the middle or right.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

That's a rather stupid reply
--
geoff

And you make totally unfounded assumptions
When permitted, I would quite happily drive at 130, , when I go through roadworks with a speed restriction e.g. on a motorway, I religiously stick to the speed limit. It's not unknown for me to have exceeded the speed limit at times, but I only do it when it's safe.
--
geoff

And you have NEVER come across road works signs still in place long after the work has finished ?
It is because of this lackadaisical approach to signage that the more intelligent amongst tend to use what is betwen our ears to assess situations as they arise instead of letting some nameless monolith make all decisions for us.
Paul Mc Cann

I didn't say anything about the signs, I said roadworks

I do ignore advisory motorway signs which I no longer have any faith in.
--
geoff

It was the reckless vs positive driving comparison you made
--
geoff

Which I never made.
All I have said is that people who think they are good drivers are usually the worst drivers.
--
Mail me as snipped-for-privacy@MYLASTNAME.org.uk _O_
|<

Because prople who think think first about their own limitations.