Re: New Electrical Regulations

Page 8 of 13
Simon Gardner wrote:

No. they are not.
My experience is such that even the addition of a seat belt does not affect the terror.
:-)

You reduce your terror by putting on a seat belt thus you reduce safety (to others).
Simon Gardner wrote:

No, *I* don't.
You may. Thatsd down to your inability to affect your emotional and conscious state when driving.

Oh yes you do.
Hi Simon Gardner In you wrote:

I don't think anyone is able to perform their best when terrified. I'd rather be driving on the roads with lots of relaxed, yet alert, people than a dozen terrified nervous twitchers.
--
Fishter
unhook to mail me | http://www.fishter.org.uk /
(David) wrote:

You ARE kidding? You mean you are aware of risk compensation, yet still you drive more dangerously when wearing a seatbelt?

I thought the reason airbags were developed was due to the refusal of American drivers to wear seatbelts; ie airbags were intended really an alternative to seatbelts rather than an adjuct. (Could be wrong!)
David
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (David) wrote:

Nope.
It isn't something under conscious control, you know.
I refer you to: "Target Risk" by Prof Gerald J.S. Wilde [PDE Publications, 1994] "Risk" by Prof John Adams [Taylor and Francis, 1995]
David wrote:

That is my understanding also.
Then they discovered they helped with belts as well.
Americamns don't wear belts, or havbe them swing away when th edors open, because they can't reach round their enormous guts.

writes

AKA their own private air bags
ha ha
--
geoff

Possibly not - how many times do you change religion - but section 8.2 was a very interesing read for (anti-religious) me.
Geo

Prof Adams most recent paper should be retrievable via <http://www.geog.ucl.ac.uk/~jadams/publish.htm , I think.
<snipped>

What's
hours of

I seem to have missed Richards reply to this.. However, the mention of common sense came froma rply by someone called Richard to Laurence Paynes post. and I was merely pointing out that it was bollox. The pedestrian stat was from The Speedtrap bible < http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Facts&Figures/Facts&Figures_Home.htm referring to the TRL report 323:
"Incidence of commonest precipitating factors, by type of accident. This is perhaps a more telling chunk of information which aims to show the most common factors involved in different types of accident, such as vehicle-pedestrian, single-vehicle etc. Excessive speed doesn't feature directly in this information because it is considered to be a subcategory of "loss of control" (see above). The government and road safety campaigners will always tell us that pedestrians are killed because of speeding motorists. This simply is not the case. Would you believe a staggering 84% of pedestrians involved in accidents are killed or seriously injured due to their own incompetance? In the TRL report, the prime factors involved in pedestrian fatalities are listed as: a.. Pedestrian entered carriageway without due care (84%) b.. Vehicle unable to avoid pedestrian in carriageway (12%) c.. "Other" (4%)
So in the real world, it's not motorists tearing up and down town centre roads at speed that is to blame for pedestrian fatalities, but pedestrians stepping in front of moving vehicles without bothering to look where they're going. An amusing little sub-note for you here - another report further subcategorises "entering the carriageway without due care", and shows that after dark, 77% of all adult pedestrian fatalities are caused when the pedestrian is above the legal drink-drive limit - ie. is technically classified as drunk - and staggered into the path of an oncoming vehicle."
So it was a mere 77%. The point was that speeding is blamed for the deaths of lots of peds when the reality is that they die because they don't look where they are going.

no
doors
hey,
Not sure, I just jumped in at the tail end. I suspect it was certain peoples venting about reckless speeders tailgating and driving like maniacs that provoked it. I was merely attempting to point out that there are many things far worse than speeding form a causing accidents perspective that don't get addressed because it's difficult to police and there isn't as much revenue to be gained...

Which, depending on the final state of the victim, may not have been a bad thing.
Paul
[40 lines snipped]

So, the "one third" so often quoted by the camera fascists is *still* a lie.

"We believe" = "a guess".
parish <parish_AT_ntlworld.com> wrote:

Most likely with every pedestrian waiting until "the idiot" has passed before thinking about crossing.
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:00:34 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

I don't think it's reasonable to say a "Minor Bump", (fender bender) can be turned into a catastrophic accident by any reasonably proportional increase in speed. Take the ACPO guidelines (7% + 3mph, is it?). It might, just, reasoning by chaos theory, but by the same token the extra speed might just make the difference in clearing the junction before "Reginald Mole - Husband" (remember him?) reverses out of his drive into the main road without looking.

I can see that someone who is in enough of a hurry to chose to break speed limits (his 1st priority is speed) might well find he then can't get back into the correct lane at roundabouts/junctions.
Far more people are just plain incompetant. For instance I notice that people who dither, or hesitate when the traffic moves off do not hesitate to drive through the red light if there hesitation has caused them to miss the green phase of the lights. It's the 5 or 6 cars behind them that get disadvantaged. I suppose they have to do this if they hesitate and dither everytime the car has to start moving or they'd never get anywhere.
I know several women who will drive round and round supermarket car parks until they find a pair of spaces "nose to tail" (Or worse, find a parking space that has free spaces *all around it*) . so they can drive in and through, so they don't have to reverse either in or out. Don't tell me they're competant to be on the road
The number of people who mis-manage joining a motorway amazes me. I frequently encounter people reversing back down the on - ramp because they've taken the wrong one. Instead of joining the motorway and coming off at the next exit and rejoining in the opposite direction.
IIRC the recent carnage on the motorway involving tank transporters was caused by incompetant driving within the speed limits.
The Great Heck incident was caused by bad driving not exceeding the speed limit. The recent level crossing incident on the main line (fruit pickers in a minibus) was caused by bad driving at low speed.
The Fatal accident on the Romney, Dymchurch, and Hythe miniature railway was caused by someone who drove slowly past the waiting cars at the level crossing into the path of a miniature train. A miniature train that probably had the mass of about 50 cars!
Ive seen an ambulance driven by a Ca 22 year old girl stationary at the end of a motorway slip road on the eastbound A58(M) at a point where it is in a deep cutting with limited visibility consulting a very large road map, with all the cars barrelling down the sliproad behind her accelerating to match the speed of the traffic on the motorway (50 mph, camera monitored) and screeching to a halt when they realised she's actually parked, like something out of a Tom/Jerry cartoon. Ambulance drivers are supposed to be "professionals" who have extra training and are even permitted to break speed limits. However, once again speeding not an issue.
Last week I came across a character joining the westbound A58(M) in Leeds from The Claypit Lane Gyratory. The 2 lane sliproad diverges into 2 single lanes seperated by double white lanes and cross hatching, the left lane diverts to the left to avoid a bridge stanchion and joins the motorway 150m further along. This guy had only driven down the left lane to the very last possibility before stopping and trying to cross about 8 feet of double white lines and force himself into the traffic on the right hand lane, speeding not an issue.
Hey, I could go on...
Enough?

It takes more than that otherwise they'd could do away with the driving test and just give licences to "responsible" people.
I strive to drive my car the way my mother used to use her sewing machine. Effectively, competantly, with precision. Oh, and legally as well. :-)
DG
.

No. You're making an assumption.

Or even incompetent. Some can't be bothered to use a spell checker, how can we trust them to drive well?

That's funny, I notice that men can't seem to reverse into a space. Or even their drives. And certainly not parking spaces no matter how large.

Don't tell me they're competEnt to be on the road.
In fact, when someone makes irrelevant judgements of people's driving because they don't have willies in which to keep their brains it makes me not bother to consider the rest of their posts.
Mary
Mary Fisher wrote:

From an e-mail I received entitled "The Female Guinness Book Of Records":
Car Parking
The smallest kerbside space successfully reversed into by a woman was one of 19.36m (63ft 2ins), equivalent to three standard parking spaces, by Mrs. Elizabeth Simpkins, driving an unmodified Vauxhall Nova 'Swing' on 12th October 1993. She started the manoeuvre at 11.15am in Ropergate, Pontefract, and successfully parked within three feet of the pavement 8 hours 14 minutes later. There was slight damage to the bumpers and wings of her own and two adjoining cars, as well as a shop frontage and two lamp posts.
And just look what happened when they opened a women-only car park in London:
http://www.parish.nildram.co.uk/womensca.jpg

Well that must be the definitive tome.

How do they know? It's nonsense. When I drove a very long car, a Humber Imperial (longer than our current Laguna estate but you'd probably not know the model), I always reversed into parking spaces, often only 2' longer than the car. It was measured by those (men of course) who couldn't believe their eyes because they couldn't have done it.
I still do, of course, with the Laguna. It's far easier to reverse into any space than to drive into it.
Mary
And I've never damaged a car by reversing. Or even going forward, before you oh-so-wittily suggest it.
Mary Fisher wrote:

been obvious, but here it is, even if somewhat late :-)

I think I remember which one you are talking about, but thank you for the complement implying that I am too young ;-)

Obviously, since you effectively have rear wheel steering so you can swing the back (front) in.

I wasn't going too, but I remember watching a programme on Sky about inventions which featured a turntable that could be recessed into the drive so you could drive in, rotate the car, and drive out. One (oldish) guy (note, not woman) they interviewed who had bought one of these things (at a cost of several thousand pounds) lived on a main road and said that the turntable had been a godsend, and worth every penny, as "everybody speeds along this road" and finished with the statement that he "had once been involved in an accident whilst reversing out of the drive". The interviewer failed to point out that he *caused* the accident, or they edited it out.
"parish" <parish_AT_ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Records":
know
Do you mean compliment?
I didn't mean your age, I meant that it's rather a rare car. Not many people know of it.

any
Don't be silly.