Re: Need tips on carpet types

You won't be dissapointed by the durability of real wool. I got bored with ours before they wore out (20+ years)

Reply to
BillR

You will find that the carpets are graded into different groups according to the type of use they will get. The stairs, landing and hallway will get the greatest amount of use in the whole house, so you need a heavy duty carpet - rated for heavy domestic or light commercial use. I doubt you will find foam backed carpets in this group, but I would steer clear of them if you do. The foam has a distinctly limited life. The bedroom carpet gets the least wear in any house, so you can choose almost anything you like for there.

Wool will last well, probably at least 20 years, but is relatively expensive. Synthetics can last well, but static electricity can also be a problem. With carpets, if you are comparing apparently similar carpets (different backings can affect the price) you do tend to get what you pay for.

If you have a local carpet shop, not one of the big carpet stores, you should get all the advice you need in there.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
<nightjar>

Yes. Good quality looped pile 'haircord' or similar made from wool is a reasonable compromise between nasty plasticky feel, huge expense, and reasonable wear resistance.

Go to a GOOD carpet wholesaler - usually to be found on an industrial estate rather than in a town center - who does contract carpeting for offices etc, and have a long and frank discussion.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When I was buying 3 years ago, a very rough price was £1/m²/year, which gives you an idea how long it might last. Of course, in 5 years time, the "in thing" could be stainless steel floors, or sawdust and dirt to counter the effect of our sterile surroundings and increase in alergies...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well, I found Carpet Right and their fitter to be very good, although I've also heard of people with not such good opinions of them. I am someone with a religious aversion to letting tradesmen past the front door, but since it was an insurance job ... It was really nice to watch a competent professional at work, especially doing the hall / stairs.

Reply to
geoff

Berber Loop (sp)

Had the stuff in hall stairs and landings, excellent durability and still looks good after masses of abuse ;)

-- Jet

Reply to
Jet