Re: My Builder

In message , Tom

> writes >>Does anyone have experiences of this website? From what i have seen it >>looks >>OK and i would be looking for Plasterers, Joiners etc. >> >> > Nothing to do with you then ... > > > -- > geoff

Nope, nothing. I stumbled across it searching google for job estimates. All i want to know is if anyone had used it!

Reply to
Tom

Well I suppose if you were a spammer you would have posted a link to it so we can see what you are talking about??

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Its

Tom

Looking at my area (S. Northants), some of the 'feedback' looks as if it migh have been posted by the trader, e.g.:

PeterC

in that you can only leave feedback when they log a paid transaction.

I can't see it being economical for most tradesmen as you are paying a lot for 'leads' (=A340+vat/quarter) and any leads that work you pay them

5% +vat of the invoice amount. There will be a lot of tyre kickers on that site or people just fishing for prices. Maybe that explains the lack of feedback for samm_developments :(

Dave

Reply to
Dave Starling

Most of these sites are a complete waste of time & a rip off for the tradesman.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There's an equivalent kind of service for car repairs, which offer to book an MOT for you/find the cheapest/etc. But it'll probably end up sending you somewhere that saves 5 pounds on the MOT but invents 500 quid's worth of work.

In that kind of field you can't beat recommendation and word of mouth, and I suspect it's the same for tradesmen. And generally online reviews are a poor substitute.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I advertised for a short with a bunch of crooks who promised at least 12 jobs a month. They had an online review section, so I simply asked a few of my delighted customers to write reviews. If I had a significant number of unhappy customers I wouldn't have asked them to write reviews would I?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Registered as a private punter with a list of typical handyman jobs & got about 5 replies 'auto' generated, none of which would have been appropriate or even in my area. Waste of space.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yesterday I put up a job to fit 2 internal doors - labour only. Prices back ranged from £70 - £235, and the cheapest guy lived 40 miles away! I think i have to agree with you Dave, a waste of time! Looks like i will be getting the tools out this weekend.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

In message , Tom writes

Why else would you be subscribed to uk.d-i-y ?

Reply to
geoff

Because i have lots of jobs that need doing around the house at the moment and my least favourite is hanging doors! Also the day job is taking up a lot of my time at the moment and i would prefer to spend the weekends with the family! My diy list at the moment is to replace two windows, fit new Toilet and sink, move washing machine to a detached garage (Burying the cold water feed under the patio!!). A new central heating system being installed with the boiler being moved to the other end of the house, thankfully not by me - plus all the decorating/making good that goes with the above. Its going to be a busy month.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

In message , Tom writes

So what are you doing in the afternoon ?

Reply to
geoff

Getting nagged by swmbo about when all the work will be done!!

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Sounds like you need a handy man :-)

Seriously, you have just described one of my market sectors perfectly.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Dave, i have looked at your website and you are to far away unfortunately! However, I have a local handyman that i know well who charges a very reasonable £20 per hour labour and often throws in "bit and pieces" he has in the back of his van for free which is a bonus. I think he will install the new toilet and plumb in the new sink (there is currently no sink in the WC) and install waste to the outside drain.

Out of interest, today i got a quote to supply and fit a new UPVC front door, a large kitchen window and WC window from a local trusted window company. They quoted £900 all in (fittings, making good etc.). As a trade customer i called a few wholesale window companies for the supply only of said windows and door all including hardware/cills and the door frame - the best quote for comparative quality and glass design on the door was £750. I reckon it would take around a day and a half to replace these items myself so will probably go with the window company which will also register with fensa. For the sake of £150 its just not worth the hassle, or am i just getting old!

Tom

Reply to
Tom