Re: Mixing brown/grey 110mm fittings

I need to extend the soil outlet from an old toilet (which I have removed)

> in my basement to a new position 4 metres further away from where the > existing soil pipe disappears through the wall. > I should be able to get the drop on the soil pipe no problem since the new > bathroom will be on a raised platform (higher than the soil pipe where it > disappears through the wall). > The only problem I will have is that I will need to have a couple of bends > (90degrees) and one bend approx 45 degrees to get to the new toilet > position. > Is their a limit to the number of bends I can have or a max length of soil > pipe allowed before it reaches a downpipe or drain? > Can I also mix grey & brown fittings? (The pipe will be boxed in/under a > floor) > Do I need to have rodding points at each bend? > > Also to complicate matters, the new extended soil pipe will feed another > toilet on the floor above with the soil pipe running vertically between a > connection close to the first toilet in the basement and the other new > toilet on the floor above. > Do I need to have an air admittance valve above the height of the new toilet > on the 1st floor? - I wonder this because I am I suppose creating an > internal soil stack. > > TIA > Steve > >

The pipework for solid waste removal should be as short as possible. Any bends or other obstructions should be kept to the minimum. For every bend you place in the pipe the flow level increases by another 10mm over the full length of the pipe, not just the pipe up to that point. So this means, as an example, that a full length of say 4 mtrs from a pan to the main stack will need a drop, over the full length, of 40 mm over a straight run. If a

90 degree bend is introduced half way along, the drop will then have to be increased to 50 mm over the full length, even though the original length between the pan and stack hasn't changed.

Isn't there an alternative route to take for the new pipework ? I'd much prefer you to take a soil pipe over the shortest route possible, even if it means you knocking a couple of holes through internal walls to keep the pipework as straight and as short as you can.

Reply to
BigWallop