Re: Melamine primer

I needed to do a similar job and did some experiments.
On all test pieces, I lightly abraded the surface and degreased as recommended.
I used a standard primer, a melamine primer and a multipurpose primer (OPE or some such name) that claimed to work on anything.
All were applied according to the instructions and then overcoated with a sand effect paint as one option and an F&B eggshell as the other.
A week later, I did tests with a light wipe to clean and a heavier scrubbing, plus scratching with a finger nail to see of the paint would come off.
The special multipurpose primer was totally useless. More than a light wipe had the paint coming off. The standard primer was reasonable, but a heavy scrub took it off, as did the fingernail.
The melamine primer worked well, standing up to all the scrubbing, and I had to scratch with a screwdriver to mark it.
So, I think that it depends on the durability that you would like to have.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Yes, ESP melamine primer (don't use International's)
If you want a substitute that won't work, feel free to experiment with PVA.
On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 21:50:06 +0100, Andy Dingley

This is odd. I remember now that it was ESP that I tried that I didn't get to work at all well, whereas the melamine primer worked the best.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 21:02:57 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

The sheds have it - e.g.
EAN: 5010988026836 at B&Q.
http://www.international-paints.co.uk/specialfinishes.html
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 18:05:05 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

I do suspect that preparing the melamine surface by abrading with a sander is important, as is degreasing.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Of course. I - that is he - always prepares any surface well. I insist :-)
Mary

Hmm. I'm doing some repair work on the old car, and the smoother you get the primer the better the top finish. Degreasing is of course crucial.
--
*Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.