RE: Lubricating cycling machine toothed belt (results)

Hi All,

A while ago I think I posted a Q here re curing a 'squeaking' belt / transmission on our Tunturi 420E 'Ergometer' (cycling machine).

The pedals turn a large nylon toothed 'gear' and a toothed belt runs from that round a smaller gear on the heavy (& magnetic) flywheel at the rear. In between there is a nylon tensioner pully (sprung loaded) running on the back (smooth side) of the belt (a setup very similar to a car cambelt).

In spite of careful alignment of the various components there would be the odd 'squeak' coming from the transmission and this seemed to be coming from the side of the belt where it drifted over and touched the sides of the tensioning roller.

Various suggestions were offered re lubrication but the one that seemed the least risk was graphite powder as supplied for lubricating locks (no chance of damaging the rubber and easy to remove if it didn't work).

I have applied a fews gentle 'puffs' of the stuff (mainly to the sides of the belt) and so far (120 miles later) it's still silent ;-)

Luckily we don't have white carpet .... ;-)

All the best and thanks again ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m