Re: Low cost PIR to switch room lights on and off?

Bill J pretended :

Can you help? I want to get some PIR sensors to wire into the > light switch in each room in my house. > > So when I go from one room to another the lights will switch > themselves on and off depending where I am. > > Where can I get low cost PIRs which will switch mains? > > Also, I'd like to locate some cheap PIRs which will switch low > power 9 volt equipment. > > Thank you for any info.

Separate PIR's do tend to be very expensive when compared to equipment which includes a PIR. For example - for seven or eight pound you can buy a 500w flood light which includes a PIR, but the PIR alone might cost £20 -£30.

Take a look on the TLC web site for the indoor PIR's.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

equipment

useable separately.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

PIRs aren't a great idea for rooms anyway because they switch off after a few minutes and you have to jump up and down to switch them back on again.

My brother used them in the stairwell and corridors of a flat/extension he developed and they work well enough there - but for a room you really would do better with a proper switch.

Reply to
OG

I've got as many PIR-less halogens as I can shake a big stick at now, having bought them to use their PIRs elsewhere. Mind you they're handy as worklights in the winter when the heat they chuck out is appreciated :-)

Reply to
YAPH

Modern room occupancy PIRs are a _lot_ better for this (ceiling mount domes, 20 quid from TLC / Toolstation).

Recycled outdoor halogen sensors or 10-15 year old indoors PIRs (anyone else get those cheapish ones from Greenweld years ago?) are an absolute pain in the arse. If you sit down on the sofa in a friend of mine's lounge you're doing Nazi salutes every few minutes to keep the lights on.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We had one in the Gents at work about 25 years ago and that went off at awkward moments. Some one did a cartoon of a man being carried out of the bog on a stretcher, with the caption: 'He shook it so hard trying to keep the lights on he ruptured himself'.

Reply to
PeterC