Re: lighting fixture

My query is how to I fix this to the ceiling do I drill the ceiling put a

> few raw plugs in and then the screws or should I be doing it another way.

It depends how heavy the fitting is. If it is light, you'll be able to drill the plasterboard and insert toggle fittings.

However, if it is heavy (such as anything hanging from a chain, or a fan or heavy glass shade), you must locate the ceiling joists and screw into these. If the joists are not in the right position, you'll need to pull down a section of ceiling to install a cross beam (called a noggin) that you can mount to and then restore the ceiling.

You can't use normal rawlplugs. They are for masonry fixing. However, the same company makes lots of fittings, including the toggles mentioned above.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Or you may be able to install a noggin by lifting the floorboards in the room above?

I did this and, as well as nailing the noggin, I also 'stuck' the noggin to the ceiling with gripfill so as to pack out any gaps/imperfections.

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Yes. I hadn't thought of that. It would be quite a lot easier in many circumstances, particularly upstairs where you might have easy access in a loft.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Its not to heavy for a light fitting so I think I should handle it as you have said (toggle fitting) I am not sure what these fittings look like but I'll ask in B&Q. Its in an upstairs bedroom so access to the loft is easy if I need to go the route of the noggin.

Thanks for the good advice its much appreciated.

Cheers

Reply to
souls

Just been looking on screwfix and b&q's website for toggle fixings but can't seem to find them just curious to what they look like, I don't suppose you could point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Reply to
souls

There's all sorts of designs for different weights, plasterboard thickness and personal preference. They are under Fixings->Cavity Fixings and Fixings->Toggler_Anchor_System on Screwfix.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Much appreciatd Christian

Cheers

Reply to
souls

I am replacing a existing light fitting there more or less the same weight so hopefully it should go without a hitch just need to pick some plasterboard rawplugs up.

Cheers

Reply to
souls

As Lobster says, though, the old fitting may well already be located on a joist or noggin, as this is best practice. In that case, screw to the joist anyway, as this is the superior option.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If it's *not* heavy, and the ceiling is normal plasterboard, rather than old lath-and-plaster etc, it's a doddle, just use special plasterboard-type rawlplugs (which open up behind the plasterboard to take the load) - available from any diy place. If you haven't already got a hole where the cable(s) will come through, make one and suss out what sort of ceiling it is.

You might find the fitting is right next to a joist (presumably you're replacing an existing light?) in which case ordinary screws will go straight up and into the joist.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Then that's by far the best way to go. Nail or screw a couple of battens either side of the cables and screw into that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)