Re: Kitchen sockets wiring horizontal

yes
loz

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:59:58 +0100, "Laurie"

Yes you can.
You can go horizontally or vertically from a wiring accessory.
Other cables which are concealed and not protected by being in a steel conduit or under a steel plate of suitable thickness or at a depth of at least 50mm must go in a band 150mm wide from the corner of a room or the top of a wall. The 150mm wide band near the floor is not allowable.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Thanks to all, once again!
Laurie

You are forgetting the cladding Terry.
There will be say another 12-15mm of plasterboard (+maybe plaster skim) on each side - so you would probably still be with the reg requirements.
--
Chris French, Leeds

This is how I read it. You'll need to clip the cable to noggings or studs to ensure they remain centred (and provide support, of course). However, non structural stud walls in the UK are typically made using 75mm timber, with 2x12.5mm layers plasterboard (or 2x9.5+skim), which will not provide sufficient depth.
Christian.
Andy Hall wrote:

However that is only for cable which are _concealed_. It would be frequent practice to ring the cable out of the wall just below the base unit box bases and the tack neatly horizontally to skirting or even the floor.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

OTOH, if you're having double sockets every 50cm at worktop height, it is easier to just chase the plaster and run horizontally between accessories, especially if they're going to mounted on a tiled splashback so the neatness of the plastering doesn't matter.
I'll probably do a combination in mine, though. I'll have cables coming out of my ears when I get round to wiring my kitchen. I've got a cooker circuit, freezer circuit, ring main, lighting circuit, central heating, immersion heater, intruder alarm, fire alarm and outside circuit to connect yet.
I'm even considering putting another non-RCD ring in for the dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer. How likely am I to have all three turned on, along with the microwave and kettle? Hmmm, it'll probably be OK, as not all elements will be on simultaneously for long enough to blow a Type B...
Christian.