Re: Kitchen Pantry Removal safe?

I am planning to gut/refit Kitchen and would like to remove old brick pantry

> (brick built single thickness) from corner of Kitchen. > > The Kitchen floor is concrete as is the Kitchen floor in flat above the > pantry is 1m by1/2 m and joined to ceiling. Flat above has identical pantry > location/concrete floor. Is my pantry taking weight of concrete > ceiling/pantry in flat above and if i demolish pantry there could be big > problems ? > > > I have thought about removing some of the ceiling inside pantry and having a > look to see if any steel beams/joists. > > Anyone done above ? This simple straightforward or am I right to be > cautious? > >

This sounds very like an old coal bunker and these are reinforced throughout all the floors and levels of the building. The single brick wall fools a lot of people and I've seen many a disaster when they try to remove them.

Please get some professional help if you wish these walls to be removed, as most are supporting walls and may not be holding up just the coal bunker area.

Reply to
BigWallop