Re: ITV1 Tonight - Uninsured driving

Thankee. :)

Ali

Reply to
Alison Hopkins

Assumes a couple of things - like, you know that you're going abroad significantly before you do go away (like, more than long enough to pick up your bags), and that mobile phones work where you go to. [Urgent phone call to do a compassionate relief for someone on an oil rig in the UK sector; 1½ hours between phone call and being searched to get onto the plane; 3 weeks on the rig (no mobile phone service, of course); Shetland heliports fogged in when I'm coming back, so we divert to Bergen. Buying lunch while waiting to get onto the fixed wing with no Noggin money, so used the rarely-used plastic. Card stopped in consequence.]

Reply to
Aidan Karley

No phone service of any kind?

You need a gold card to buy lunch in Norway anyway :-)

From the issuer's perspective, they had seen you disappear for three weeks and then re-appear in another country. That would ring bells, although even at Norwegian prices, it's surprising that happened for one small transaction.

Reply to
Andy Hall

(b) may be fine for you since you know your liability is limited if a card is stolen. But not everyone is going to know the instant a card is stolen, and some purchases can be made using only the card details without having it physically.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Barclaycard never called me when my ex-wife spent =A38K on jewellery in 2= =20 days in Saudi Arabia, on a card that had for 2 years previously only=20 been used in UK for buying petrol and food with a maximum value of =A350.= =20 Nor did Mastercard when she did the same on that one.

--=20 Lozzo Triumph Daytona 955i SE (Black with added black bits) GSF600SW (broked) 'I do not object to people looking at their watches when I am speaking.=20 But I strongly object when they start shaking them to make certain they=20 are still going.' William Norman Birkett, 1st Baron Birkett, Oct 1960.

Reply to
Lozzo

You sure can pick them!!!

Reply to
Hog

Now you get an idea of why she is the ex-Mrs Birkett.

--=20 Lozzo Triumph Daytona 955i SE (Black with added black bits) GSF600SW (broked) 'I do not object to people looking at their watches when I am speaking.=20 But I strongly object when they start shaking them to make certain they=20 are still going.' William Norman Birkett, 1st Baron Birkett, Oct 1960.

Reply to
Lozzo

It might say it. It certainly isn't clear.

Who reads the 20 page small type booklet that they send you?

tim

Reply to
tim(yet another new home)

Well then that's YP.

Reply to
Cab

Me too.

That would be sensible.

I wonder if buying things from overseas over the phone still triggers it? e.g. if I buy stuff from a US supplier with my card over the 'Net?

Reply to
PC Paul

There's an outfit called "CIFAS" which operates under the auspices of Equifax (one of the big-two credit reference agencies) that offers a service that costs 12quid a year. What it does is to tag any of your credit-reference entries with a "flag" that makes it mandatory for any financial institution to contact you before making any significant changes, ie change address, open new account, issue credit card etc. You have a password that is registered with CIFAS and they will only issue a "release" after it's been verified with you.

-- snipped-for-privacy@xjackfieldx.org (remove the x..x round jackfield for return address) and don't bother with ralf4, it's a spamtrap and I never go there.. :)

... There's pleasure sure in being mad That none but madmen know... Dryden

Reply to
Jeff York

It doesn't appear to be an annual fee as such per their FAQ, but I suppose it depends on their own interpretation.

  1. How long is a CIFAS warning on the CIFAS Database? The time a CIFAS warning remains on the CIFAS database depends on how long the fraudulent activity continues. Members are able to extend the time a warning is placed against an address to protect the address from fraud. In all cases, the warning remains on the database for at least a year from the date of the most recent fraud.
Reply to
Colin Wilson

Oh, none off-the-rig that I could get to between packing to leave the rig (turf-out of cabins is at 07:00 on morning of departure for that tub) and discovering that the flight was being diverted to Bergen - after hanging around all day.

Actually ... probably more like an 8-month disappearance, come to think of it. I forgot that I tend to use cash whenever possible. Main purpose of the plastic is for Justin Case anyway. It'll make any work in Singapore interesting.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

Thank you.

Reply to