Re: It pays to DIY - or rather it doesn't pay not too...

NT wibbled:

You get a better result employing someone that knows nothing about > building but wants to learn. If youre around to show them anyway. >

Yes - the chap working for me for the last few weeks doesn't object to being instructed to do something my way, and comes over as pretty smart anyway (not sue why he's still doing random jobs - sure he could do better). But he's confident and can get on with minimal help once the plan's been laid out. I don't normally like working with people in such a close linked way (I hate constant management duties - not my thing), but this bloke is worth every penny and is a joy.

I could have probably done everything the builder did minus the plastering for a lot less cost and better with this chap, but I was working full time at the time and subbing out the initial work seemed like a good idea...

I think general purpose builders are alright with day to day work, but they can't seem to cope with problem jobs IME.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S