Re: Inches or Metric?

Best you read them.
IMM wrote:

I would disagree with what you say about the decimal system being easier than duodecimal for calculations. Think of how many numbers divide evenly into 12 and compare that with number for 10.
Unfortunately, I went through priamry school at a time when not only was the metric system just in place but mental arithmetic and, in particular, wrote learning of tables were completely out of favour. Thus, my maths is not up to properly argueing the benefits of duodecimal systems over decimal systems.
IIRC (probably not!) the Summarians (sp?) had a duodecimal numbering system and the method of time divison may be attributed to them. (Someone will no doubt correct me on that one!)
Richard

We learnt them by singing them. Even now I sing the tables to myself to get say the nine X table, which I always thought was the hardest. Calculators mean we need to know them not so much.

The law has stepped in prosecuting fruit sellers in Sunderland selling only by the lb. They should sep in and prosecute anyone not using metric. Do both by all means, but metric should be there and the fits figires in larger type. The same with car mpg's

There is a lacuna in the law at the moment.
If someone is selling goods by weight, by size etc [eg market stall, timber yard, plumbers merchant, then metric measure must be given.
But things like this house sale is not exactly doing that. The information is allegedly "descriptive". Same with eg mail order catalogues selling towels or whatever. If they were selling towelling material by length, they would have to give metric. But if they're selling certain towels and merely describe them by dimension, then they don't. (And indeed often they don't. Scotts of Stowe still describe their (it turns out) 1m x 2m towels etc purely by some ghastly and incomprehensible archaic measure.)
"Martin Angove" wrote in message

That's consumption, not economy. MPG represents economy. Somebody pointed once out on cam.misc a while back that vehicle fuel consumption could be measured in square millimetres -- think about it :-)
And why do so many rant on so much about the pint as the last bastion of imperialism? Round it up to 600 ml -- over 5% more beer per round; what could possibly be wrong with that?
--
Andy

parish <parish_AT_ntlworld.com> wrote:

There's an amusing piece in Orwell's 1984 where an old guy in a pub complains to Winston that metricated beer is awful, something along the lines of '500ml is not quite enough to quench the thirst but a litre is far too much and weighs too heavily on the bladder.'
Back home in New Zealand it was customary to buy a jug of beer and the requisite number of 8oz glasses, a jug being about 1.5 litre IIRC.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby
On 24 Jul 2003 15:10:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@iname.com (Pat Norton) wrote:

Ah yes, but at least you can tell your mates that you can drink 10 pints no problem ;)
Andrew
writes

Duh!! he was talking about beer.
writes

--
geoff

My little F reg Vauxhall Nova 1.2 does around 125-130m on 14l of unleaded (close to 10 worth). I reset the trip meter on filling and wait until almost empty before refilling (city runs only). I make that close to 40mpg or 7l / 100km which for around town is pretty good. I'll know if something is wrong if the number on the trip guage changes before refill time. Provided I remain much of a creature of habit this works well.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby
When you go to B and Q W to buy some plywood cut to length, what is the best way to give the measurement: 79 15/16 inches or 2.005m or 200.5cm or 2005mm or 2m 5mm or 2m 0.5cm... ?

2005mm.
mm are the standard domestic building units and there's no decimal point or fraction to get wrong
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

That's what I thought, but it lead to confusion.

But B and Q customers and staff aren't brought up on sdbus, they expect 1m 80cm etc., like they were taught in school
huge (h) writes:

Interestingly, the English government voted on whether or not to drop Imperial units and adopt the metric system. This was in the late 18th century (I think). We decided to keep imperil units for a while because the states were not able to make the change.
Okay .. pop quiz time ... Only 5 countries (other than Britain) do not use the metric system. America is one, anybody name the other 4.
James
(James Kemp) wrote:

And wallboards. Do other counries have 2.5m ceilings, or even 3m?
(James Kemp) wrote:

You find many items are in metric but in round old imperial sizes.

The pub I use sells lemonade at 1 per pint!
Alan -- Reply to alan(at)windsor-berks(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk
Andrew McKay (am)writes:

I used to do my arithmetic on a slate using chalk!
Alan -- Reply to alan(at)windsor-berks(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk

Not where I drink, beer in britain is sold by the pint.
Alan -- Reply to alan(at)windsor-berks(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk
"Alan Holmes" wrote | "Owain" wrote | > I see little problem with mixing measurements where useful. Millimetres | > are better for anything less than an inch. Milk is in pints, but beer | > is in half-litres. | Not where I drink, beer in britain is sold by the pint.
Draught beer in pubs. I don't pay pub prices :-) Half-litre bottles/cans in Tesco.
And I use a half-litre beer mug as a tea mug. Visitors who accept the offer of a 'large' tea get a litre mug (two teabags, and don't drop the spoon).
Owain