Re: Inches or Metric?

One of the filling stations I use has a litre/gallon conversion chart attached to the canopy uprights so you can easily work out the real cost of the fuel. It starts at a pretty reasonable 30p/litre and goes all the way up to a collossal 50p/litre, I used to wonder what could ever happen to cause the price to reach that upper bound.

Reply to
James Hart

4 by 2 sounds better? Strange one. use metric, as it just is better.
Reply to
IMM

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. It really depends a lot on when you went to school I think.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

I was brought in imperial and as soon as I was old enough to use it we started to go metric. Metric is far, far better. When doing calcs it is so easy. Think metric, never convert back. The problem is the country were to go metric but stopped half way through. We buy petrol in litres, yet the cars are rated at mile per gallon. That is very silly. Very silly. We should go all the way to metric ASAP and finish the job off properly.

Reply to
IMM

There is a lot of truth in this. For many years I have preferred working in metric but it wasn't until I switched to metric only tapes that it all gelled completely.

I still think in miles though.

Interestingly, on the change to the Euro, in Ireland they switched over completely within a very short period of time. No mention at all now about punts (The Irish word for pound rhymes with ' bank manager '), or pennies (Terrible freudian slip narrowly avoided. I nearly mis-spelled that last word).

In France items are still priced in both francs and euros and people still think in francs.

Spain is similiar. Euros and pesetas still being shown in the shops and I know from dealing with Spanish suppliers they still think in pesetas and do the conversion to euros in their head

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

I prefer imperial, but for all that I wish that we would whole heartedly switch to metric. I'm looking to replace my fridge freezer, though it is several years old its capacity was measured in litres. Now as I ago around browsing I find some stores use litres and some cubic feet, what a headache. Incidentally I am trying to find a fridge freezer with a larger freezer than fridge, any suggestions? Cheers John T

Reply to
John Towill

Welcome to the club. I've only found a couple with the fridge smaller than the freezer and they were both uprights, with one door above the other. Electrolux do a vertical 2 door, +1 drawer fridge freezer, but I personally did not like the operation of the drawer. I've been looking for 3 years, here, in Europe and the US, without success for a large side by side fridge freezer as you described it. If anyone find it please post the details. Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Shedloads here

Capitol

Reply to
parish

To be perfectly honest I can work with either imperial or metric, and often do.

But I can visualise 6in much easier than I can 150mm. When presented with a dimension such as 145mm I invariably do a quick mental conversion to inches, because that's meaningful to me.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

I have never understood the imperial system and in the last forty years haven't used it.

I invariably ask for it in real measure rather than archaic and haven't a clue what imperial measure looks or feels like.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

I am updating my kitchen and would like to sell my large side by side fridge freezer. It is an Amana SXD 520S and the dimensions are approx

1700x910x660mm. It says that the gross volume is 559 litres of which the freezer is 198 litres. It has an icemaker in the freezer door.

Reply by email and I can send pictures.

Regards Terry

Reply to
Terry Simpson

I do ask some interesting questions don't I? :)

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

"parish" wrote | According to Google Groups it runs to 227 articles (obviously a few more | than that now).

Google however threads by subject. It's quite possible for completely unrelated posts from years back to be brought into current threads because they have the same subject line.

Reply to
Owain

True, but in this instance that isn't the case

parish

"Should electromagnetic descalers be metricated?"

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

No. Decimated.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Interestingly, the English government voted on whether or not to drop Imperial units and adopt the metric system. This was in the late 18th century (I think). We decided to keep imperil units for a while because the states were not able to make the change.

Okay .. pop quiz time ... Only 5 countries (other than Britain) do not use the metric system. America is one, anybody name the other 4.

James

Reply to
James Kemp

What figures do you have to substantiate this article of faith.

Reply to
IMM

First of all I said it was anecdotal - this means that I am not suggesting anything scientifically derived.

Secondly the context is this NG, since I didn't introduce any other source of information, so that is obviously the information source.

Thirdly, if you look through the many threads on this subject and add up the people who claim any form of success, I estimate a factor of

10:1 of people who say the opposite.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to