Re: Illegal in Canada!

The light program and Luxembugger was about the only two stations I ever listened to in the old days . Grant .

Reply to
G Crozier

Nor me. But we DO go out and rarely see such behaviour. We've learned how to avoid it.

We know it from our own direct experiences.

We believe in making things happen, not letting them happen to us. Because of that we don';t have a tv and don't buy newspapers. Be active, not passive :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I used to love band performances in the park.

My publisher's son is a splendid cornet player, I'd go to his performances if I could rely on knowing that he'd be there ... Yoof!

OK, where's your next performance? If it's anywhere near where we'll be we'll go. Well, I shall.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I don't remember everything.

Well, actually, I think I do. I have a wonderful memory.

The problem lies in the retrieval system.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Stooped"? What do you think I am? Of course I listened to the Light programme - until it stopped. I don't listen to Radio 1.

Dead Ringers isn't what it used to be so even when we're at home n a Friday evening we don't always hear it. Many Friday evenings see us in other parts of the country. Next Friday we'll be at Stoneleigh, as previously announced :-)

Working very hard :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's interesting and I wonder why.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

There are at least three non-profit/public TV stations in the NYC area, which carry BBC news. The NY Metro area stations have _very_ local news - some of them have a half hour of national news, which will include a few minutes of international coverage. The BBC coverage gives nearly half an hour of international news.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

How do you know, Sheila? I thought you were in UK.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I go back and forth. At the moment, I'm forth (or should that be 'furth'?). I should be back next month.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Right. I look forward to it -) And I'm impressed.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It was introduced during WW2 to boost moral of factory workers making arms. To get production up. It went right up until about 1965-66 I believe.

Reply to
IMM

"Mary Fisher" wrote | I don't remember everything. | Well, actually, I think I do. I have a wonderful memory. | The problem lies in the retrieval system.

All the books are in the library, but the card catalogue's a bit disordered?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"G Crozier" wrote | "Mary Fisher" wrote: | >I don't remember Sing Something Simple but if you thought it | >was dire, dull, boring ... no, I'll not say it :-) | You do surprise me Mary this was one of the old greats that | lasted just about the longest I think it was still going | in the early sixites I may be wrong .

If it's the same programme:

Sing Something Simple had its silver anniversary in 1983, and went on to make it to 30 before the decade was out. Another Radio 2 institution, Your Hundred Best Tunes, celebrated its silver anniversary the same year. Your Hundred Best Tunes is still going strong today.

Sunday since 1959 Sing Something Simple has been broadcast on BBC Radio 2.
Adams b. 21 August 1923, Southwark, London, England, d. 22 October 2001, England. In 1954 Adams formed the Show Band Singers group for Cyril Stapleton's BBC Show Band, which backed vocalists including Frank Sinatra, Eartha Kitt and Frankie Laine. This led to Sing Something Simple, a half-hour programme of "songs simply sung for lovers", featuring the Singers, piano accordionist Jack Emblow's Quartet, and a piano solo by Adams. It made its debut as a "six-week stand-in" on the BBC Light Programme on 3 July 1959, and celebrated its 35th Anniversary with a special programme on BBC Radio 2 in August 1994. Four years later, Adams received a Gold Badge Award from BASCA (British Academy of Songwriters Composers and Authors) his "special or lasting contribution" to Britain's entertainment industry. Adams also composed music, and his work for television commercials included Murraymints ("Too-good-to-hurry mints"), Smash ("For Mash - Get Smash") and Fry's Turkish Delight. He had a UK Top 40 hit in 1960 with his "Lonely Man Theme", which was used in the memorable "You're never alone with a Strand" cigarette commercial. In 1976 he composed the music for the West End musical Liza Of Lambeth, an adaptation of Somerset Maugham's novel, which featured a book and lyrics by William Rushton and Bernie Stringler.
mum liked it :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I can't find the card catalogue :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So I see, it seems to be upside down and untrimmed.

Reply to
Andy Luckman

"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:4083001b$0$8569$ snipped-for-privacy@master.news.zetnet.net:

For example?

Telegoon Toon by Big Ben Banjo Band, 45 RPM 7-inch single...

Big Ben Banjo Band

45 RPM 7-inch single Columbia DB 7211, 1964

SIDE ONE: BEAUTIFUL SCREAMER (Arr. N. Paramour)

SIDE TWO: TELEGOON TOON (Signature of "The Telegoons") (Edward White)

This 45 RPM single, which has the signature tune from The Telegoons on its B-side, features a Goon-like instrumental parody of Stephen Foster's classic song, Beautiful Dreamer (1862) on its A-side.

Sounds utterly, umm, bizarre. :-)

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Is this a bad time to mention that my mum really likes Judge Jules, on Radio 1.

Hates the chart shows, WestWood (As do I), but give her some banging techno, or happy hardcore, and she's away.

Radio 4 even gets turned off, and the only other time that happens is when the kiddy-patronisers come on.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

So your neighbor pays some stupid tax, and continues making noise. Does that make you feel better in some way?

-- Gary E. Tayman/Tayman Electrical Sound Solutions For Classic Cars

Gary E. Tayman

1972 I earned £12 pw. Gross....

PoP

Reply to
PoP

: > Select a map area at : >

> to zero in on any area of interest, or enter a city directly. : : Thanks - but 'page not available' :-(

A tempoaray glitch perhaps? It's a link off their main page though - perhaps it requires going there first... although it worked directly for me just now.

choose "Radio Schedules" at the top left, for the map &etc; or one can enter a city directly in the main page, in the blue band about half-way down.

Ross Matheson

Reply to
RdM