Re: Illegal in Canada!

It's the state I've enjoyed for forty four years.

That's their choice, and their misfortune.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Monty Python was never on the Home Service ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Sorry, I did say that it was SOMETHING like that ...

It is irritating though ... :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm talking about the early 1950s, boy!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You don't understand, do you?

Two quid was a third of my father's weekly wage in those days. And we didn't have 'junk' radios.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh, Paul Temple - and Steve ... but before the Archers there was Dick Barton in the 6.45 slot. I was once in the local chemist and two grown men were talking, they said they had to get home to listen to Dick Barton.

Family Favourites (it's 1 pm in London and ? in Berlin ... ), Housewives' Choice, and all those comedy shows. Workers' Playtime ... sorry, I'll stop before I get any more maudlin ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher
[snip]

: There are frequent references to the places where WS is received and it : seems to cover all USA. I can't remember anything about Australasia though

covers the shortwave - indeed, no coverage of North America or Australasia listed.

However, here in Auckland NZ we have a local AM station rebroadcasting the WS,

and similar stations do so elsewhere.

Australasia and the Americas seem to be well covered by local rebroadcasters.

Select a map area at

zero in on any area of interest, or enter a city directly.

RdM

Reply to
RdM

Please stop responding to this woman, otherwise she'll clog up this newsgroup with nonsensical rantings the same as every other one she's barged her way into. She cross posts all over the place, just look where her last post went and the subject we're on now. What's it got to do with DIY? the woman's a menace and is capable of spouting crap on every subject.

Rgds

Andy R

Reply to
Andy R

Thanks - but 'page not available' :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Back then my pocket money was 2s/6d a week, transistor radios were IIRC correctly about £5 each, batteries cost 2s/6d and lasted about a day. Mains PSU virtually unheard of.

Reply to
Steve Firth

"Mary Fisher" wrote | "Rod Hewitt" wrote | > - not simply out the goodness of | > the government's heart. | There's no such thing.

goodness or heart?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"IMM" wrote | Too true. You could easily get the world service in the UK. They | were going to, or did, cut back the UK broadcasts because it was | not intended for a home audience. There was great opposition. I | recall if the UK still gets the world service, as I have not | tired to listen for eons. Saying that it is the best radio | channel in the world, having such a range of programmes.

There is a BBC World Service radio channel on Freeview (digital terrestrial television), and BBC Asian Network radio (also on Freeview) relays BBC World Service Asia at night.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Perm any two from two.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

terrestrial

There's 24 hour digital service and from 1 am to (I think) 5 am on Radio 4 VHF.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

World service is to be found on 648Khz MW band.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thes shows are all available on audio tapes now. Have a selection for in car entertainment when stuck in a jam on the M6 etc.

Those shows summarise for me the intense boredom of my childhood.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Course they were. Lovely old Pye and Plessey type valves sets with amazing markings on teh dial saying 'Hilversum' wherever that was.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote

Hello Mary - you need to go here:

Peter Taylor

Housewives'

memories flood back with just a slight nudge :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And about that amount of my first wage in 1957 . Grant .

Reply to
G Crozier