No.

Nor marriage.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What, using the rhythm method?

Reply to
geoff

Is Radio Caroline still going? I remember its beginning. It was awful. I used to listen to Radio Luxemburg under the bedclothes with my hand holding a particular valve in a particular position or it stopped.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

There's no such thing.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Too true. You could easily get the world service in the UK. They were going to, or did, cut back the UK broadcasts because it was not intended for a home audience. There was great opposition. I recall if the UK still gets the world service, as I have not tired to listen for eons. Saying that it is the best radio channel in the world, having such a range of programmes.

An ex South American girl friend of mine, great tango dancer, worked for them on the Latin American service. Hers was one of the voices the Argentinean soldiers heard when the world service re-directed the transmitters over the Falklands.

Reply to
IMM

In message , Mary Fisher writes

All agreed then

Reply to
geoff

Rhythm on Radio Caroline???

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Boy, this is fun when we get some new faces, even ranters, cross-posting to r.a.r+p on a radio topic.

Here in the US we feed our government network (PBS) from what is basically a 'general fund' funded from tax collection. That "Boston Tea Party" thing put a negative badge on specific taxes so our 'contribution' goes anywhere and everywhere. The rest comes from private interests who are advertisers but 'really aren't'. We admit that freely because its the "American Way" but I suspect that major commercial/political influences in the UK aren't really hard-pressed to figger out where to throw money either.

I don't particularly care for PBS because of its left-shoe personality but its a shining example of what broadcast could be like if it were dominated by other than breweries, big sports and whining minorities appealing to the lowest common denominator. Unfortunately that same liberty seems to attract mostly non-mainstream artsy production folk that would otherwise remain unemployed in the media.

I have some very pointed opinions about the arrogant BBC asshole who publicly proclaimed that BBC-WS on SW was a waste for "factory workers in Detroit". While he may be correct, the end run (thats an American Football term that implies deception) was part of a fee schedule demanded of PBS and CATV affiliates. As a cable operator, BBC-WS was asking me $1/mo per sub which is on the order of Disney or ESPN. Fortunately, Discovery Networks carved out a deal with BBC for 'BBC America' which amounts to only a couple of dimes to the consumer.

The 2 AM BBC feeds by PBS stations are for the most part not even paid for because nobody here would imagine that they are SUPPOSED to pay for this and are oblivious to the fact that they are required to do so. Yeah, piracy. The 2 AM PBS market is small enough that BBC-WS really doesn't give a hoot and certainly no one else does.

-Bill M

Reply to
exray

In message , Mary Fisher writes

I should have added a few more question marks, shouldn't I

Reply to
geoff

I think it's still available on WorldSpace satellite radio. It's still rubbish, I used to prefer Ngoma which was brill African toons but now that's changed to pay-to-listen and I refuse to pay.

You were lucky[1]. I had a cat's whisker with a coil wound around a lav paper tube and the headphones from a mine detector. After an hour of listening to the high-pitched mousewhispers through the headphones, I used to get a raging headache because the headband exerted about 90psi on the ears.

Not only that, but I had to leg it out of bed to attach the earth to the gas pipe and the aerial to the 200ft of wire I ran from the attic to an Ash tree in the garden.

[1] go on, get it over with, you know you want to.
Reply to
Steve Firth

The only thing I ever heard on a cat's whisker or crystal set was someone's banjo band. Every time I tried listening to one it seemed to be - was it big Ben's Big Banjo Band? Something like that.

?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Monty Python.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Any ole "purse-pal" radio in London had no problem in receiving Caroline unless you were listening from a ditch, and a rather deep one. Now as to whether or not that meant assured good reception of "ngoma" or "brill African toons" is a whole nuther subject.

Rage on! What a wacky world it is when you're short 2 quid for a junk radio that actually works. My sympathies...

-BM

Reply to
exray

In message , exray writes

On the subject of music ..

if it's true or not

Reply to
geoff

Marriage what is marriage Mary I thought in this "modern day" society of ours marriage had been dispensed with and everyone was living "over the brush"with each other . The women next door to us slipped back into the passed two months ago and got "married" she kicked her husband out a couple of weeks ago and is now back living alone with her two bastards from previous liaisons . Grant .

Reply to
G Crozier

Hell Mary this makes me think you are from a bygone era like myself :)))))). I remember radio Lux well and used to enjoy it listning to it immensely especially on a Saturday night .During the week we had the Archers and journey into space and not forgetting Paul Temple on the BBC's light program and of course Mrs Dale :))). Grant .

Reply to
G Crozier

Now you really have done it Mary it wasen't big Bens and now I wont be able to rest until I find out what the damn name was :)))) . Grant .

Reply to
G Crozier

Jim Menning

Bonzo dog doo-dah band?