Re: Illegal in Canada!

The World Service has dropped transmissions specifically beamed to North America. I think they may have also dropped Australia, and New Zealand. However, the World Service is still usually heard well in the US, at least in the Eastern half.

[snip]

Frank Dresser

Reply to
Frank Dresser

It is in UK too - covered by the TV licence that is. If you don't have a TV you don't need a licence for your car radio at all.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I've had quite a lot of wine with out pigeon dinner but I've honestly tried to understand 2) and don't.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Wot's a Beamter?

Mary in vino veritas

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Explanation please?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You don't have to watch rubbish.

I don't. Except what I see here, sometimes ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No one said it had to make sense. I haven't seen a government - yet - make complete sense. They do some of the dumbest things.

Lou

Reply to
Lou

haven't answered my question.

Perhaps I didn't explain it properly?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I listen to World Service through the night when I'm awake. I used to listen to R4 but Spouse bought me a small digital set for under my pillow and R4 digital isn't the same as the other R4, it has school (shudder) programmes through the night.

There are frequent references to the places where WS is received and it seems to cover all USA. I can't remember anything about Australasia though ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

German for a civil servant

Reply to
geoff

A civil servant type employee.

Reply to
tim

Oh, thanks. I shouldn't have snipped, I'll go back.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

????

The analogy is incorrect.

In the UK a radio does not need a license.

In Germany they do (and the cost is about 50% of a TV license so it isn't negligible)

and they don't recognise 'unmarried households' either. If an 'unmarried couple' have two TV's, they need two licenses, the UK civil liberties lot would be horrified (but everone here seems to think that it's right)

tim

Reply to
tim

I consider my hand slapped.

Didn't know that. I was talking about UK.

Sounds OK to me. If you have principles you have to accept what goes with them.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Just a general noise tax that covers all aspects of noise will do why should I be met with blasted noise blaring out when I enter a store Tesco late at night and ASDA anytime in particular . Why should I be inconvenienced by noise coming from your amplifiers and speakers if you lived next door to me etc noise pollution is the very worst kind of pollution . Grant .

Reply to
G Crozier

I think almost everything is covered by the hous TV licence in the uk even the dog I shouldn't wonder !! . Grant .

Reply to
G Crozier

Not the point I know I don't and there is plenty of other stuff on other channels which isn't paid for by the TV licence we pay the TV licence for the stuff the BBC throw at us which is rubbish. But the clever ........... get around this by saying the TV licence money isn't for receiving the BBC it is to operate a TV receiver in your home and if this is the case why does the money go to the BBC and why do the BBC governors decide the amount of licence fee that we have to pay each year . Grant .

Reply to
G Crozier

"G Crozier" wrote | wanderer wrote: | >The licence fee doesn't fund the BBC's world service. | Prove it

I posted the link to

up the thread.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

G Crozier wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A minor technicality. As I understand it, World Service is paid for by the Foregin Office out of taxes not license fee income. This is done for political, commercial and other reasons - not simply out the goodness of the government's heart.

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

In message , G Crozier writes

No dogs are normally covered by fleas (feline, lupine, equine all encompassing sertificate)

They haven't needed a license since it was realised that it cost more to administer the license than the cost of the license

Unless, of course it's a St Bernard with a (non battery powered) portable around it's neck

Reply to
geoff