Re: If your pipees are indanger of freezing

> leave a tap dribbling. Get a small quantity of water flowing through > the pipes in danger, it will prevent them from freezing > But not if you have a water meter.

That's the best way to guarantee that your drain pipes freeze up!

We always make sure that we leave the plug in our wash basins with this sort of weather as we've had both of them freeze up in the past, particularly the one in the downstairs bathroom as it exits the wall about 1.5m from the downpipe.

The water flow is slow enough for it to freeze before is gets to the down pipe. More water flows over this thin ice layer and freezes so the layer of ice gets thicker - and continues to do so until the pipe is blocked. Come the morning and you've got a plug of ice five feet long to get rid of ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

,

Perhaps you should have added a disclaimer ...?

Or perhaps, based on another of your recent posts, you were rather looking forward to the prospect of lots of large, hairy blokes threatening to smash your front door down ...?

BTW, I should have said WASTE pipes ...

Why do you always spot the errors in post that you can't edit the instant you press send ...?

Reply to
Terry Casey

The regs requirement for internal soil stacks and waste drainage - since rescinded - was a result of the 1962-63 big freeze IIRC. Of course back then stacks were generally cast iron so froze up more easily.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Why? Does the water meter cool the water?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Wasn't it a few years later than that? 1969?? My 1975ish house was external, but my 1977 one is internal.

Reply to
<me9

At the time the rules were introduced ISTR someone, without a trace of conscious irony, complaining that, with the pipes outside, they were easier to thaw with a kettle.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I wouldn't know about the regs but my parent's retirement bungalow was built in 1968 and that had an internal soil stack.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

I know of many hundreds on one estate that were built with them inside in 1959/60/61, I know a large number of them have now been moved outside as they intruded into the kitchen and bathroom.

Reply to
The Other Mike