Re: Ideal Elan boiler

Thanks for that John.

I don't suppose you know of anything that needs to be done with this boiler after draining the hotwater tank with mains off. I have bled all the radiators but a friend still thinks that my problem is due to air in the system.

Adam

Can't answer your main problem but you can get a manual from their customer > services on 01482 498660. See

I rang them at the weekend and am awaiting it in the post. You wiil need

the model and type aswell when you ring them. Slide up the glass front, to > the stop, if yours will go up that far and look for a label on the inside of > the base. Look for something like NF230, CF230 etc. > > HTH > > John > >
Reply to
Adam Stark

wiil need

Hi Adam,

I've had one of these for years - they're great little boilers, but prone to 'kettling' - a singing noise as the boiler reaches maximum temperature. This can be solved a number of ways, but I'm assuming you know what it sounds like and it's not your problem - right?

OK, a stab in the dark - do you have a central heating header tank or just the big one in the loft for hot water? If not, your problem could be the primatic type cylinder. It doubles up as header tank for the heating and hot water cylinder, not ideal, but they were all the rage many years ago. Check that your hot water header tank is up to the level.

There is also an overheat thermostat fitted to the flow in series with the thermocouple, so if the boiler overheats, it shuts the gas off and requires a manual restart. So this cannot be your problem as you say it refires after 20 mins.

So, I'm going back to my first suggestion!! It must be kettling....... However, if you did lose water out of the system somehow, you may have introduced air, making the kettling sound much worse. When bleeding the system, check for downward sloping pipes that would trap air! I recently did a boiler changeover and found that the landing floor sloped down (away from the boiler!) by more than the diameter of the pipe, so I had to fit air vents. The other item to check is the pump, make sure you bleed it and that it is rotating - they can get blocked by sediment or a lose rust flake if work has been carried out (there should be instructions on the pump).

Apart from that, I need more info........

HTH,

Bob

Reply to
Bob

In message , Adam Stark writes

I had a look today - I have an Elan 2 manual, but I can't find one for the normal Elan. Of course, it's not that straightforward, there are several different Elan 2s

Reply to
geoff