Re: I despair (take 2 ...) OT

In article , Davey scribeth thus

Kill-lom-meters?..

Y/N?...

Reply to
tony sayer

As in the instructions for a sink waste; "Penetrate the waste through the aperture, add the nut and circumgyrate it."

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sound painful!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I dislike utilise when use would do perfectly well.

Reply to
djc

Ouch!

Reply to
Davey

Try getting a Dutchman to pronounce "Ruislip"

Reply to
newshound

But we have as much trouble with most of the Dutch language.

Reply to
Davey

Or an Englishman to pronounce "Cuijk" :-)

Reply to
a_lurker

Or a northerner to pronounce Wrothem Road, Meopham.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In article , The Medway Handyman scribeth thus

Didn't you mean Wrotham?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Try Goodnestone.

Reply to
Bob Eager

snip

Like this?

Davey

Or Happisburgh

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You have too vivid an imagination. That's one of the less inscrutable translation examples I've seen in a long time. I like the imaginative use of the word "circumgyrate" though.

I guess the reason for such bad translations is possibly a lack of idiomatic equivilents in the Chinese language as far as technical instructions are concerned.

It's a defficiency akin to the reason given for the lack of chemical research and progress in their pre-twentieth century history due to perfecting the art of ceramics a thousand or so years back to such a level of refinement that there was no incentive to develop the art of glass blowing and hence no laboratory glassware to facilitate such research beyond mixing Charcoal, Saltpetre and Sulphur in the right proportions to make cracking good fireworks.

Reply to
Johny B Good

I stand corrected :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"Where would we be if we didn't have any rules? France."

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Then there is "Blyth" which most people can cope with, but change the first letter and you get "Alyth" - a small town in Angus.

Reply to
charles

What a coincidence!, as over on the TX-list for radio anoraks it's having its 59th birthday today:-)...

On This Day in Broadcasting History....

1932 (82 years ago) Broadcasting House brought into service

1955 (59 years ago) BBC Wrotham (VHF) in service

1964 (50 years ago) Horizon started on BBC2
Reply to
tony sayer

You've answered the obvious question, which is "Where the f*ck is Alyth?"

Reply to
Clive George

I thought I'd better give that hint - the real test is to pronounce it.

Reply to
charles