Re: Huf Haus on last night's Grand Designs

Page 10 of 12

C'mon andy - you know that's not true

--
geoff

That is true Maxie. Our stunning good looks put them off us.
Andy Hall wrote in message ...

I always found that asking people if they used to go to the Nuremberg rallies produced the same response. Particularly effective in disrupting meetings!
Regards Capitol
On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 21:06:42 -0000, "Owain"

No, the *Americans* won the war! We put them up for three years.
MM

NO. We won the war with their weapons, doing their fighting and they charged us with interest. Something sounds not right in that.
Mike Mitchell wrote:

The russkies won the war.

IMM wrote:

Well, that's what your colleagues may have told you before going off to their all afternoon 'project meeting'.
--
Toby.

Toby, you are one. Or are you a jug?

Exactly! You got it! They have far better focus on the job in progress, whereas we seem unable to focus very much at all. Did you notice another surprising thing about German life? No presenteeism! At 16:30 we had "Feierabend" (finish for the day) and literally everybody made a beeline for the car park. None of this "sleeping across the desk" as one former UK manager proudly exclaimed to me on numerous occasions to explain his 60-hour-week dedication to the company.
But then they are inculcated from a young age with a sense of early birds catching the best worms, since all schools, even at a very junior level start lessons at around twenty to eight in the morning when the mind is fresh. To compensate, children do not have afternoon school, and therefore mothers tend to stay at home much more than in the UK, which again is beneficial to society as this ensures more cohesive family life. No latchkey kids wandering the streets while mum is still at the factory to help support a massive mortgage. Oh, we could learn so much not just from the Germans, but from the French, the Dutch, the Italians - everybody! We do tend to stay on our little overcrowded island too much and close our eyes and ears to the big wide world.
MM

The problem in the UK is due to land ownership - 70% is owned by 1% of the population. There is an artificial land shortage in a country with a land surplus, ramping up land prices, and hence house prices, meaning only 7% of families have the mother at home. Most homes have large mortgages for very small expensive homes meaning both parents need to work to survive.
Yes, land is the answer, release it, use for the benefit if the people, re-distribute it, This what the Germans, Dutch French, etc do. The knock on effect is apparent in their societies compared to the UK. Quality of life is generally better in those countries. Vandalism is rife in the UK, and virtually not there at all in other European countries. Sounds odd, sounds bizarre, but yes it is land that is the root problem with the UK, land. Tackle that and many problems are solved.
80% of consumer debt is mortgages.

Much more deeper than that. I do like the idea of morning schools only, but the problem of taking kids to school in the dark is a touchy subject. Also in the UK school hours are geared to mothers working hours, so they drop off and collect their kids around work times.

Another misunderstanding is that children in Germany are generally not driven to school by their mothers or fathers like they are in the UK. On the contrary, many children, even at quite a young age (my niece was 8, I believe) make their own way in the company of other school children on the ordinary bus or by bike, using the proper footpaths which are located *away* from the road. Some mothers take their children to school by car sometimes, but there is nothing like the traffic chaos that features so heavily during the rush hour in the UK.
Another point: While Germany has just put away its first cannibal, the public have not descended in gibbering paranoiacs, afraid that cannibals may be lurking behind every hedge to eat their children. Such a silly idea, as we all know that only giant fe-fi-fo-fum monsters do *that* kind of thing, and Blunkett's now got them on Home Detention Curfew.
MM

This thread is about Grand designs, not Grand Delusions !... :~)
< snip drivel >

Truth hurts does it ?

No. I accept the report. Very factual and true.

In one company which I worked in, there was a general walk out because there was a rumour that there was going to be a discussion about stopping production workers drinking at their place of work. By this I mean while operating presses, milling machine and lathes.
Bier ist wie brot
--
geoff

It's the same in Denmark, BTW. I worked near Copenhagen for a while, and there were beer vending machines in the canteen. It was about 10% of the price of the same thing in a bar in Copenhagen, too.

Brot, bitte sehr, mit groem B!
(Sorry, couldn't resist again!)
MM (Your resident pedant)

with brot?
Like minimie (pot - black-kettle, please reorganise) pulling me up on a full stop at the end of my last sentence - I just can't be arsed
--
geoff

It's Berlin, by the way...
MM