Re: Huf Haus on last night's Grand Designs

Page 9 of 12
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:16:14 -0000, "Owain"

That's what the Pope has. Except it's a pint of Creme de Menthe.
According to Billy Connolly.
DG
"Mike Mitchell" | Baloney. We are a dead loss, and if we only recognised it, we would be | able to start taking steps to improve. We have crap railways, low | quality, NHS waiting lists, unfair pensions, poor education, dwindling | research, jerry-built housing because we cannot ever make planning | decisions for the long-term and stick to them. We are a nation of | dreamers who have their place in the world, but in terms of | organisation, efficiency, and planning, we have totally lost the plot.
Well, in sharp contrast to the Huf House, this week's (Wed 4 Feb 9pm Channel 4) Grand Designs revisits:
a house with a wing-shaped roof that went dreadfully wrong. Kevin McCloud couldn't resist returning to the scene of the accident. Viewers may be appalled and delighted (or wholly unsurprised) to find that life with Tom Perry and his wife Judy has not changed much. The insurance company wants nothing more to do with him. His glass won't fit. He breaks more bones in his body and the house remains resolutely unfinished. Apparently, this is the last we shall see of Tom and his building. Pity, it could have run for years. (David Chater, The Times.)
Owain
One I'd like to see again was from a couple of seasons ago. A faux-Georgian pile. She was the impossible client and got through architects and builders like there was no tomorrow. He went off and made money and built a purple ... sort of cone shaped fire that I can't remember the name of ... in the livingroom as his contribution. Can it really have been as awful as I remember?
Anna
-- ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plasterwork, plaster conservation / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling and pargeting |____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 07976 649862
snipped-for-privacy@kettlenet.co.uk (Anna Kettle) wrote in

And, yes, it was at least as awful as your memory.
Rod
Anna Kettle wrote:

Are you sure you are not mixing up two different lots there?
The Georgian one I remember with the wife with rather exacting standards (Helen IIRC). She was the one that fired the architect and managed the project herself. Including gems like re-ordering and replacing all the windows because the glazing bars were too thick for the period, and wanting special glass with a non flat finish so as to give better reflective qualities.
The one with the purple oven was the couple who built a new England style prefabricated building with large open galleried stairs etc making the main living room almost the full height of the property. Built on the site of a bungalow they bought and tore down.
--
Cheers,

John.

I could be wrong about the Georgian style of the house I'm thinking of. I remember the glazing bars house too but that was a later programme, not the one I'm thinking of.
I agreed with her about the glazing bars on the windows, though she should have sorted out what she wanted earlier in the build. If a house is intended to be of a period then the fenestration has to be right or it won't ever look right. She did only get a sample window replaced, not the whole lot so I think you're maligning her a bit.
Anna -- ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plasterwork, plaster conservation / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling and pargeting |____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 07976 649862

Jacob Butler has some interesting comments about this in his web site. The problem is, if you are renovating sash windows it is very difficult to get the old "war glass" out in one piece, and replace it when the woodwork is finished.
J.
--
John Rouse

Anna Kettle wrote:

OK fairy snuff.... that was the first big Georgian style one I remember - I may have missed the other.

I think they had samples on site and the rest were in the process of being made. The cost of the change was something like 30K extra - hence it must have been more than just a last minute change to an as yet unfulfilled order. The slightly more surprising bit was that this is the episode that caused her to sack the architect (with the phrase "I would like you to put your professional indemnity insurers on notice...!") and take over management of the build herself...

Not intending to malign her at all really - in many respects I was in awe of her drive, ambition, and shear determination to realise her dream house. It was all the more impressive that she took on the management of a build of that magnitude without any prior experience of such things while at the same time as looking after a family and (IIRC) performing a day job as well.
--
Cheers,

John.

Anna Kettle wrote:

Ah., The mexican charcioal burner thing.
Well it was sort of raher wonderful in its awfulness...

Yes I suppose if you are going for an indoor charcoal burner then purple is the only colour to have. Myself I'd have added pink polka dots a la Mr Blobby :-)
Anna -- ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plasterwork, plaster conservation / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling and pargeting |____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 07976 649862

You were lucky !
We used to have to go downstairs to the lobby where they had 3 massive beer vending machines.
Friday - return from lunch ...
"Geoff, it's almost the weekend, go and get the beer in"
... unless, of course, it was someone's birthday / child's christening / engagement / joining / leaving / any other excuse, in which case, it was obligatory to have a barrel of beer and some food.
And this was on a site doing defence work
--
geoff

When I was in a German office for a month, they would have the odd celebration and out came the beer. We were never invited. The Germans do focus on what they do and tend to do it better than the British. I found we worked harder and out in more hours, but what they turned out was, although less than us, we on the whole better quality. They were better managers and organisers, needing only one shot to do it, whereas the British muddled through. The Germans were better than us, although not as good as me.
writes

--
geoff

Because we were better looking, better dressed, better dancers, better singers and better at life than them.
writes

probably thought you were a wanker
--
geoff

It was then and still is now. Envy gets you nowhere.
"IMM" wrote | > >When I was in a German office for a month, they would have the | > >odd celebration and out came the beer. We were never invited. | > I wonder why ? | Because we were better looking, better dressed, better dancers, | better singers and better at life than them.
And we won the war.
Owain

I mentioned the war.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

NO, we were just better looking and would take all the girls. They were ugly bastards, even the women.