Re: Huf Haus on last night's Grand Designs

It's the same in Denmark, BTW. I worked near Copenhagen for a while, and there were beer vending machines in the canteen. It was about 10% of the price of the same thing in a bar in Copenhagen, too.

Reply to
Huge

LOL, what a jolly there Maxie.

Reply to
IMM

Look at many consumer items you buy in the UK, many are made in the far east (and many of those made in the UK are only assembled here - the parts coming in from abroad), what has caused the problems in Germany is the reunification of east and west Germany and the cost of modernising the industries of the old East Germany.

The main problem with the Wilson Government was not creating highly skilled technicians, scientist etc but keeping them in the country once they started to earn money, they could earn more abroad - or should I say keep more of that money...

Reply to
Jerry.

Are you sure?

Reply to
IMM

Maxie, you will have to find out what the service industry consists of. Fixing boards is one of them. Now that is a starter for you.

Reply to
IMM

In article , Anna Kettle writes

Jacob Butler has some interesting comments about this in his web site. The problem is, if you are renovating sash windows it is very difficult to get the old "war glass" out in one piece, and replace it when the woodwork is finished.

J.

Reply to
John Rouse

Building regs for walls and rooves are about 0.3 from memory. So thats only 6.6 toimes worse.

So

They don't pass regs eiher, and cost about te same to heat properly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah., The mexican charcioal burner thing.

Well it was sort of raher wonderful in its awfulness...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yeah. I reckon we need a hutton report on double glazing, where it clearly shows that it is better than a broken pane of agricltural galss in a draughty crittal frame :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , IMM writes

As I said -they don't generate wealth, they just move it around

Reply to
geoff

That is true. But the realisation that much of their industry is falling away to the far east is also a big factor. In the east at least they can build new industries that don't compete with the far east. So a bit of a win, win there.

That was a point. the brain drain. At one point Thatcher was encouraging it, saying to graduates that you speak English the most widely spoken language in the world and all the other virtues.

Wilson had a hell of job inheriting outdated industry that was neglected in the 1950s. British management had a mentality of cheap labour rather than efficiency using machines, that is why we has an immigration scheme.

Reply to
IMM

When I was in a German office for a month, they would have the odd celebration and out came the beer. We were never invited. The Germans do focus on what they do and tend to do it better than the British. I found we worked harder and out in more hours, but what they turned out was, although less than us, we on the whole better quality. They were better managers and organisers, needing only one shot to do it, whereas the British muddled through. The Germans were better than us, although not as good as me.

Reply to
IMM

In message , IMM writes

I wonder why ?

Reply to
geoff

liberal dose of newspaper, and what do you get?

PoP

PoP

My Crittall windows are NOT draughty!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

It didn't come out as I intended.

....maybe I should stop now while I'm still a head.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Well, Gerry and the Heart Transplants wouldn't have quite the same ring to it.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Ah, I remember it well - the slipper being 'stored' in the 'sleeve' of the masters gown.

And don't forget the odd chair thrown by the English teacher.

Another Old Cestrefeldian by any chance?

Reply to
Woody

Well, that's what your colleagues may have told you before going off to their all afternoon 'project meeting'.

Reply to
Toby

Curiously, we survived without all (or even a few) becoming homicidal maniacs, or whatever the terrifying outcome would be as predicted by the do gooders and their "no smacking" rule. I just don't think it is possible to reason with animals or children, as they (especially the latter) haven't yet developed any skill in exercising logic. The day tigers, lions and domestic cats stop cuffing their offspring to keep them on the straight and narrow, that's when I might start to listen to all the nannies whom we have to thank for the dire state of public behaviour in Britain.

My mother wore the trousers and she caned me often. The NSPCC would probably have cried "victim", but I really loved my mum. I knew I had deserved it.

It's a complex issue, but it is a fact that many people today do not appear to know the first rules of social interaction. I call many people today the diagonals. When I was younger people seemed to take a bit of care where they walked, and we would never rudely cut across somebody on the pavement. But it happens so often nowadays that there's no point getting upset about it. People have absolutely no respect for each other. Better behaviour has to be learned from somewhere. My solution is to reintroduce a form of National Service, say for 9 months instead of the original two years, and with greater emphasis on learning how society works and citizenship than fighting wars. Most wars will anyway be fought in future using high-tech weaponry, whereas you need citizenship every day of the week.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell