Re: Huf Haus on last night's Grand Designs

geoff

I don't see the point of this rather snide comment. Are you just being a wind-up merchant?
MM
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:35:05 +0000, Mike Mitchell

This, I don't understand. My point is they must have their share of bad old vehicles.

It wouldn't change the validity of my point if I was would it?
I've worked in .de intermittently since since 1979 BTW.
I've travelled in .de on holiday by car for the last 17 years,
My point is "The German Way" is "The same way as everywhere else" nowadays. You try getting an exhaust fixed in Cassel with a RHD car. It's not a magical experince of smoke and mirrors, it's more a case of taxis and jubilee clips.
DG

veneer, they're just as crap as us. (5 years living in Germany)
--
geoff

12 years living in Germany; and no, they are not.
MM

geoff

berhaupt nicht! Ganz und gar nicht! Bestimmt nicht! Total falsch!
We could carry on like this all night long!
MM
"derek" wrote | Just as *Somebody* was eating the fillet steaks during the wartime | food rationing, *Somebody* is driving the rusty old transits.
Huf weren't driving Transits - those vans were Mercedes.
Owain
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:50:16 -0000, "Owain"

DG
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

How many here would actually consider the 'Eur Ing' prefix on their business cards, instead of the 'CEng MIEE' suffix? A doubt anyone in the UK would consider it worth the confusion.
--
Toby.

Is there such a thing?
IMM wrote:

Well that depends on what institution you belong to (no jokes in the back please), but education, experience & training to the required level are prerequisites. It will be of use if you need quick recognition of your abilities in France & Germany particularly: "ah Herr Engineer Mystery, my colleagues and I are looking forward to your presentation" at german conferences etc. Has a regard equivalent to doctor over there.
--
Toby.

wrote in message

Do you mean doctor, as in medical doctor, rather than in science doctor?

reverence that Frau Farbissina has for Dr Evil.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
wrote in message

It is?
Toby wrote:

I've got several on my customer list. But a neglible number compared with the MRICS, MIStructE, MICE and other people
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser

Those are just self interest groups and something I don't take seriously.
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:08:38 +0000, Mike Mitchell

No it is the "Erics" capitalising on the "Wirtschafts Wunder" boost they got after WW2 when we were paying for the defence of Germany and our armies in Germany were spending money contributing to the German economy but were a burden on our own/The Amercan's.

Where I worked in Germany (Wildblad im Schwarzwald) the hours were as we worked in the UK, and every afternoon at 3-00pm a trolley came round loaded with a selection of beers (up to one litre!). Hardly surprising they couldn't get a delivery right, or within 1 month of the right time.

No we don't that was 1965 when Grundig was a quality brand differentiated from the cheap mass market "Empire Made" crap we had in the UK, but SONY was already an worldwide international brand leader

We *are* just as efficient. Better in some respects. Don't you know the German shops shut at lunchtime just as the German workesr have some time to go shopping? I won't mention universal closure on Sundays.

Correct.
Correct.
"Sort of" Correct

No we can't. We've given up. Meanwhile the Germans are still in a "Miss Marple" '60s time warp. Even my kids come back from school exchange visits saying the Germans are living in a mid '60s time warp.

And I can remember the days when BMW were a laughing stock motor bike factory. which made the "Isetta" bubble car with the assistance of "ISO" of Milan. And even more recently when BMW was an "Engineering Eutopia" car manufacturer but the cars still had 6 volt batteries. Recent BMW's are just a Turkish made Ford Taunus. :-)
An optical illusion/triumph of marketing.over common sense

Now you are challenging me to extoll the versions of the "Prefabs" the best of which are still standing.

And half days on Saturdays.

And what does that mean?

And being pulled down as they are full of asbestos.
"Mike Mitchell" wrote | >Where I worked in Germany (Wildblad im Schwarzwald) the hours were as | >we worked in the UK, and every afternoon at 3-00pm a trolley came | >round loaded with a selection of beers (up to one litre!). | I believe you about the beer, because I, too, was seconded to work in | a Stuttgart radiator factory once, and the canteen also served beer, | in jugs.
It's just not the same as a pint of tea and a wagon wheel, is it.
Owain