Re: House problem diagnosis

In article , Richard Meredith scribeth thus

In article , > snipped-for-privacy@chiark.greenend.org.uk >(Owen Dunn) wrote: > >> *From:* Owen Dunn >> *Date:* Thu, 05 Aug 2010 22:29:13 +0100 >> >> I'm in one of those all-too-common situations where I have a problem >> (in this case with my (1950s build) house) and I'm not sure what class >> of expert to summon. >> >> My staircase appears to have moved away from its adjacent wall. So >> far >> it's only about 1mm away, but I can measure this because the staircase >> has pulled a small amount of the wall paint with it. >> >> So, who does one call in a situation like this? The cam.misc wiki >> entry for builders seems to be all about building fancy things rather >> than mending existing buildings. > >All buildings move to some extent, depending on the foundations. Small cracks >aren't usually anything to worry about, and a 1 mm crack is definitely small. > >The existence of a crack is in itself nothing to be particularly concerned >about; >you only need to be worried if the crack continues to get wider over time. > >What I would recommend is just to keep an eye on it to check it isn't getting >substantially bigger: if it doesn't close up of its own accord in a few months >and >its existence offends, Polyfilla is your friend. In the unlikely event that it >is a >sign of a more serious structural problem, all that will happen is that the >crack >will reappear and continue to widen. >If that happens, you may need to consult a structural engineer or building >surveyor >for advice; be very careful with jobbing builders, especially if they start >recommending expensive remedial work, since there are plenty of cowboys only to >willing to charge exorbitant amounts for unnecessary and frequently shoddy >work. >

Good advice and what you can do is to take a few pix upload them somewhere and post a URL of said pictures and crostpost to UK.D-I-Y

Reply to
tony sayer

Looks like you have done it for him!

My money is on simple woodwork movement. Plus maybe loose attachments.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

1mm woodwork movement? I'd go back to sleep.

NT

Reply to
Tabby