Re: Hotpoint w/mc motor "afterlife"

On 3 Jul 2003 02:47:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Abdullah Eyles) wrote:

There were two articles in a recent Model Engineering Workshop mag on these motors - I'll see if I can find them.
"Electric Motors in the Home Workshop" ISBN 1-85486-133-6 and "Electric Motors" ISBN 0-85242-914-2" both by JIm Cox also cover their alternative use.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

I have a defunct motor out of our Hoover w/m, put aside for refurb and then onto the lathe as a variable speed, reversible drive.
Will I ever get round to it?
Very doubtful, but I can't bear to dump it atm.
--
Tony Williams.

If you want to use a speed controller, then you would be best using the board that you have as it is made for that motor. If you intend to only use it at full speed, then you can wire it directly without going through the board first. you still haven't said what you intend using it for.

Nobody asked me what I wanted to use it for :S
I intend it as a general-purpose workshop power unit, but that depends upon the ease-of-use (maybe with belts and shafts around the ceiling like in the old steam-powered mills - or not if the HSE catch me!)

Would appreciate it, Peter. TIA I'll look the others up on Amazon...
On 4 Jul 2003 05:02:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Abdullah Eyles) wrote:

Found them - if you get in touch I'll arrange copies for you.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/