Re: "Hot Works" Permit?!!

On 19 Oct 2006 08:43:20 -0700 someone who may be "Lobster" wrote this:-

But - just had the broker on the phone in a tizz about said permit, >saying I need to have one and that she's going to refer to her manager >about it. Meanwhile, before she phone's back, can anyone tell me what >'Hot Works permits' are all about and, whether I need one, and where I >get one from?!!

I suspect that you would need one if you were doing hot works inside an enclosed space that is normally full of a flammable liquid or gas, in an industrial situation. The permit would be to record that the vessel had been purged of the substance and the atmosphere was not explosive (having been tested by a suitable meter).

Reply to
David Hansen

/methinks he's not receiving us!

Reply to
EricP

Maybe he dropped something hot and melted the internet cable...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

ohyesheis... sorry about the dupe: not guilty (well, other than being foolhardy enough to post via google groups for once, while away from my home PC).

Thanks for the feedback - I can now shout knowledgeably at the broker when she phones back! (Maybe, as site manager, I'll prepare my own permit, then swap hats and sign the bloody thing...) I'll let you know the outcome.

Cheers David

Reply to
Lobster

:)))

Reply to
EricP

Please do, Spouse is very interested.It was something even HE didn't know about :-)

It was the main topic of conversation over dinner tonight!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Do you need a "Hot Works" Permit to finish making the Crème Brule?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Dunno. I reckon I should have had one to flambé the pheasant breasts - I suspect it was the flames which damaged the fan casing in the cooker hood - no the fan WASN'T switched on!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

My million quids worth of public liability insurance specifically excludes using a blowlamp!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What *any* form of blowlamp or just the old paraffin ones? Implication that you can't do grown up plumbing?

Seems odd for an insurance for trade purposes..

Reply to
Andy Hall

Its true.

The same rules apply in virtually any telephone exchange equipment rule, where they usually have sensitive fire/smoke detection systems. In this context "hot work" also includes any form of cutting or grinding which generates heat and/or dust.

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon

Irrelevant but mine excludes using scissors. I can't make candles without cutting wick.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Another step down the road of banning all but 'qualified' plumbers from doing plumbing work maybe?

(No word back from my insurers yet BTW!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Presumably with higher insurance premiums. I suppose that there is extra risk where naked flames are involved, but equally one can think of risks that arise from virtually every trade in terms of third party risk.

Reply to
Andy Hall

How do you do plumbing? Compresssion and push fit only?

Well just get a packet of razor blades from the supermarket. Lovely and sharp for cutting. B-) Doubled edged, never mind thats all you can commonly get.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well, I was too specific. ALL sharp edged tools are banned.

Needless to say I do use them, in fact Spouse even makes them for chirosurgeons.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I remember a case in Sussex where someone was getting central heating fitted. The plumber left a blowlamp on in the loft (plying on the underside of a thatched roof) and before the fire brigade arrived (20 minutes - rural) the house was gutted. Householder had no fire insurance due to the thatch. I don't know if the plumber had, but blowlamps can be disasterous.

Reply to
<me9

A work collegue's father managed to burn down their bungalow. He was soldering some radiator pipes near where they came through the ceiling. He'd finished and was having a cuppa in the kitchen when they realised the whole roof was on fire. He had presumably managed to ignite something just through the pipework holes in the loft.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On the odd occasion I have checked out what liability insurance from other brokers would be they first question they ask is whether or not a blow lamp is going to be used! This make about a 2:1 difference in the premiums.

However the deal I get thru "Aon" which are Corgi's pet broker makes the premium (including blow lamps) about the same as the non-blow lamp deal with the others.

For water plumbing you can get by (just) with using pushfit and crimped joints (although I've no experience of the latter).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

There's an electrical resistance soft soldering widget that solders well, and does without a flame -- Rotherm 2000 by Rothenberger. Google turns some completed listings up on ebay, going for around 20 quid used.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer