Re: Hot Air Gun - recommendation?

Hot air guns are like any other tool - they can be dangerous! I've got an older Black and Decker version, and you most certainly wouldn't want to try drying your hair with it - it gets mighty hot!
You can scorch the wood if you leave it running on the same spot for very long, just like a blowtorch would. And when you put it down, remember that the nozzle is going to be well hot too - so easy to brush your hand against it and get burnt.
Have you thought of a blowtorch instead? Just a thought - the hot air gun is a bit expensive to run as I recall, and not so configurable in terms of what comes out at the sharp end - with a blowtorch you can change the size of the flame.
Andrew
On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 14:52:06 +0100, Andrew McKay wrote:

They have all the same problem you highlight about hot air guns. Like they get hot and remain hot...

Almost certainly but a decent gas blow torch is going to be quite a bit more vicious than a hot air gun. ie the hot air device is easier to use as it won't scorch the paint/wood quite so quickly.

Get a hot air gun with variable temeprature control. Mine has such a control and is very handy from stripping paint to heat shrinking.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Okay, I wasn't aware this was a possible option - as you can guess, mine doesn't have that option.
Andrew
in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Andrew McKay at snipped-for-privacy@kazmax.co.uk wrote on 6/7/03 2:52 pm:

I'm open to any solution: Sanding disc on drill? Chemical stripper (although that Nitomors stuff scare me stiff. I go into the DIY shed planning to buy some; pick up the tin, read the warnings - and chicken out ;) Blowtorch (I've only got the gas variety - too hot?) Hot Air ...basically whatever will get the job done with the minimum hassle.
Mike A.

Not good for window sills and the like - will tend to re-invent the shape of the item being sanded if you aren't careful.

Best option IMHO. Nitromors is usually pretty good at blistering the paint away from the underlying surface. Paint it on, leave a short time, whack it off with a scraper. Easy peasy.
However it hurts like hell if you get a drop on your skin, so wear gloves and eye protection. It's like being stung with a nettle though, it doesn't do lasting damage (well it might to your eyes, so eye protection is highly recommended.
Just a thought, but why would you think that Nitromors was less dangerous than burning the paint away? If you are hitting the paintwork with a high temperature there's a very good chance that you are releasing noxious fumes which you breathe in. Nitromors simply needs a well ventilated area.

Nope. It's only too hot if you play the flame on the paintwork for too long. It doesn't take much experience to realise that you can keep the flame moving along just at the right speed - you've got a scraper going along too, taking the paint off as it starts to blister.
Why not give it a try and see? I was wary the first time I tried it but it was remarkably easy!

Under discussion - my least favourite option. Even though I've got the option if I want it.
Andrew
On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 17:00:29 UTC, Andrew McKay

I first started using Nitromors 35 years ago....I'm sure it isn't as strong as it was!
One useful thing to remember is to keep a bucket of water nearby...if you feel a drop hit you, wash it THEN; it takes a while to 'burn in' and start hurting!
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
in article snipped-for-privacy@rikki.tavi.co.uk, Bob Eager at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 6/7/03 7:02 pm:

Thanks Guys - a useful range of advice and opinion, which I appreciate.
Mike Abbott

Woolies/B&Q 7.99 with tools treat it like you would a disposable razor

Doesn't it burn your chin?
On 8 Jul 2003 14:57:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (mike) wrote:

ROTFLMAO! :)
Andrew
On 8 Jul 2003 14:57:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (mike) wrote:

:)
Take Care, Gnube
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:29:00 +0100, "Mike Faithfull"

Don't they just! ;O)
However The Sainsbury's "instant disposable barbecue" is immune to even the heat guns attentions. You can get a good glow going but in less than 2 minutes it's all but out again! Quite the worst barbecue "kit" I have encountered so far, and I have tried quite a few now out of curiosity. Still can't beat the real hibachi type thing, and proper charcoal IMHO.
The Sainsbury's offering might well be improved by adding a few holes in sensible places, but as delivered it is all but useless! I like to evaluate them in their intended form rather than mod them as the comparison results would be less meaningful if I did what I might realise needed doing!
Current leader for fuel, convenience and value is the Tesco bag of charcoal, in which you light the bag in a standard or original type barby and let it get on with itself; I've found it produces consistently good results.
Take Care, Gnube