Re hanging a radiator

I have had to remove a radiator and its brackets from a wall that required re-plastering. I have no idea where the screw holes were for the brackets. I had left the screws in the wall but the plasterer removed them.
I am now faced with the task of putting the brackets back in the right place.
My idea is to put the brackets on the radiator and hold in place with tape. Fix some short nuts and bolts in the holes in the brackets and dab the end of the bolt with paint. Loosley fix the radiator onto the valves then carefully swing the rad up to the wall so that the painted bolts leave a mark. Remove the rad from the valves, drill the holes fix the brackets then hang the rad.
Has anyone tried this or have any better ideas for re hanging a radiator?
Many thanks AndyP

Lie the rad face down, and hook on its brackets. Measure the screw hole positions relative to the corners of the rad.
Now support the rad (on books or something) against the wall in the right position to connect up the pipework, and mark the corner positions on the wall.
Using the first set of measurements, and the marked corner positions, you can now work out where the screw holes need to be.
Roger
AndyP wrote:

When I re-hung an especially large rad recently (a triple hanger job), I considered measuring the distance between screw holes on the hangers whilst fitted to the rad, face down and their positions relative to the valve fitting points and drilling the wall accordingly. However, I always find that when I do something like this, I end up with a poor fit (God knows why: I measure *very* carefully). Anyway, not wanting to pepper my new wall with a multitude of wrongly drilled holes, I made a template of the rad using a large cardboard box. Obviously, the template doesn't need to be the full size of the rad, just big enough to cover the hangers and the valve fitting positions. Once satisfied that the template was accurate, it was placed over hanger bracket number 1 and shifted around on the wall until the valve fitting position lined up correctly with the pipe stub and valve coming out of the floor. Bracket number 1 was then sellotaped in place and bracket number 2 placed in position on the template at the opposite end. Alignment with the pipe stub/valve was repeated at that end also and bracket number 2 sellotaped in position. Hanger brackets 1 and 2 were then fitted in position and a piece of string was streched between them to show where to put the middle bracket. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the rad fitted perfectly and the valves re-attached with no problems.
Regards, Jim.

Jim, an interesting solution thanks. My rad is only about 3ft long but the template option seems a good idea thanks.
AndyP