Re: Guild of Master Craftsmen

Tripe Master wrote in message ...

IIRC from a few years back, pretty much anyone can join, so probably not worth it.
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:29:59 +0100, Tripe Master
Maybe. Will you get more business if you have a sticker on your van ?
As a recommendation for selecting a builder / chippie though, it's not worth it. They accept anyone.
They do publish some good books though.

Listening to 'You and Yours' (as mentioned on another thread) yesterday with admittedly only one ear, I think they said the GOMC had actually chucked out one of their members after complaints.
--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.

On 28 Aug 2003 12:29:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (dg) wrote:

Associate membership - 265 per year.
Corporate membership - 500+ per year.
That's a lot of cards in the local shop window.
PoP
They'll call anyone a master craftsman as long as they get the money. I've seen out and out cowboy outfits sporting their stickers. MBS

I agree. it's a rip off, not worth the bother. They deceive gullible crafts people into parting with their cash for something worthless, and they deceive the general public into thinking that any trader with the sticker has some special quality. Infact I would avoid any tradesman who carries the sticker as a matter of course unless he has proper references from an honest source etc.
cheers
Jacob

Our company was in the GMC for a while, and at that time (3 yrs ago) you had to have several references from satisfied customers to be accepted. It was not just a matter of paying for a sticker. That may have changed now, I don't know, but I doubt it. Whether a few satisfied customers makes a master craftsman is another question.
--
Tim Mitchell

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 12:13:20 +0100, Tim Mitchell

The current situation, as I understand it having recently expressed interest, is as follows:
Applicant must supply names and addresses of 5 referees. Those referees need have nothing to do with work undertaken - it could be your best mate in the pub, accountant, bank manager, wife's brother, straw man, you name it. The intention is to check that you are who you say you are, not whether your work meets a perceived standard. If you can find 5 people who are prepared to say "that's him, guvnor!" then your references are acceptable.
Then you get to choose whether you want associate or corporate membership - that's 265 or (?) 540 per annum (I'm not sure of the latter figure - it's about twice as much).
You also get a free listing in their quarterly magazine. But it isn't perpetual - you have to make application for the advert each time the magazine is issued.
Came across to me as a multi-level marketing scam, which is why I posted the question. All responses appreciated - thanks!
PoP

I had someone come round trying the hard sell
I'm not sure exactly why they should think I'm a master craftsman, and they didn't seem to have anything to offer to make it worth while parting with any money
They didn't want any references, they didn't even seem very interested in what I do. It was just, at the end of the day, a salesman trying to make a sale so he could get his commission
--
geoff