Re: Guild of Master Craftsmen

IIRC from a few years back, pretty much anyone can join, so probably not worth it.

Reply to
stuart noble

Maybe. Will you get more business if you have a sticker on your van ?

As a recommendation for selecting a builder / chippie though, it's not worth it. They accept anyone.

They do publish some good books though.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Associate membership - £265 per year.

Corporate membership - £500+ per year.

That's a lot of cards in the local shop window.

PoP

Reply to
Tripe Master

They'll call anyone a master craftsman as long as they get the money. I've seen out and out cowboy outfits sporting their stickers. MBS

Reply to
Mr Blue Skye

Listening to 'You and Yours' (as mentioned on another thread) yesterday with admittedly only one ear, I think they said the GOMC had actually chucked out one of their members after complaints.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I agree. it's a rip off, not worth the bother. They deceive gullible crafts people into parting with their cash for something worthless, and they deceive the general public into thinking that any trader with the sticker has some special quality. Infact I would avoid any tradesman who carries the sticker as a matter of course unless he has proper references from an honest source etc.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

In article , jacob writes

Our company was in the GMC for a while, and at that time (3 yrs ago) you had to have several references from satisfied customers to be accepted. It was not just a matter of paying for a sticker. That may have changed now, I don't know, but I doubt it. Whether a few satisfied customers makes a master craftsman is another question.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

The current situation, as I understand it having recently expressed interest, is as follows:

Applicant must supply names and addresses of 5 referees. Those referees need have nothing to do with work undertaken - it could be your best mate in the pub, accountant, bank manager, wife's brother, straw man, you name it. The intention is to check that you are who you say you are, not whether your work meets a perceived standard. If you can find 5 people who are prepared to say "that's him, guvnor!" then your references are acceptable.

Then you get to choose whether you want associate or corporate membership - that's £265 or (?) £540 per annum (I'm not sure of the latter figure - it's about twice as much).

You also get a free listing in their quarterly magazine. But it isn't perpetual - you have to make application for the advert each time the magazine is issued.

Came across to me as a multi-level marketing scam, which is why I posted the question. All responses appreciated - thanks!

PoP

Reply to
PoP

In message , jacob writes

I had someone come round trying the hard sell

I'm not sure exactly why they should think I'm a master craftsman, and they didn't seem to have anything to offer to make it worth while parting with any money

They didn't want any references, they didn't even seem very interested in what I do. It was just, at the end of the day, a salesman trying to make a sale so he could get his commission

Reply to
geoff