Re: grouting /pointing gun

About to lay about 30m2 of travertine floor (after 2+ years the screed

>should be well dry by now!). The pattern is made of several different size >tiles, which means lots of joints to grout. Spreading a slurry of grout >acrosss the tiles is not recommneded, due to possible staining problems and >so the joints (abnout 5mm) need to be filled individually. I can forsee this >taking almost the rest of my natural life with a little trowel and board. >And I can only send the family away for a few days at a time. Screwfix and >others sell a pointing gun ( a bit like an oversized mastic applicator) and >provided ballast or shrap sand are avoided it sounds like the ideal tool. >Also could try SWMBO icing set. >Any one used this for a similar job or is it as useful as a chocolate >teapot?

I used it with cement/soft sand/pva and it was totally useless. It just compresses the aggregates.

Reply to
stuart noble

I wonder how well it would perform if the mix had a proper plasticiser in it? When I added lime to my mortar mix for the first time I was pleasently surprised at how, er, 'plastic' it was. Repeatedly tapping down on the block to line it up made the mix gradually bulge out of the joint like very thick coffee coloured cream. It looked as though it might work in a gun.

W.

Reply to
Woodspoiler

When I tiled the kitchen walls I made one of these out of an old filler tube and it worked a treat - admittedly I was only using wall tile grout.

If you are careful (I used a 6 mm 300mm long drill bit) you can push the moving part of the tube back up till it pops out of the end. Fill it with grout and off you go.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Delere