Re: Grand designs again tonight.

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember harry snipped-for-privacy@aol.com saying something like:

A simple brick and glass boxy L with timber second floor. I like the simplicity of it but the step in the living room floor - not a bit. Daft idea - having lived in a cottage with a step in just that position between the original building and the kitchen extension, it was a bloody pain in the arse.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Those stairs did not look safe.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth" saying something like:

Not a thing to negotiate pissed, iwt. It's the first house I've seen for a while in GD I hoped would work out for the owner. Perhaps because she's a bit of all right and knows what she's doing.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You get used to it, I've had the rails off my stairs for a little while, in 'preparation' for moving the hall wall!

Quite liked the end result, I wouldn't say it was much more 'eco' than regs require really, I'd have preferred white rendered blocks to the white painted bricks, and she had gone a bit overboard with down-lighters, but did have other lights dotted around.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Grand Designs isn't about chucking up a house as cheaply as possible. It's surprisingly about 'design'. Of course you don't have to like that design. 'Taste' is a personal thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The screed was pumped in by appeared to have a paste consitency, certainly not a dry mix. Anyone know what type of screed it was ? Modified sand / cement ? Kevin just called it "concrete". Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You are Kevin McDoughnut AICMFP

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I was surprised by the stairs also. There was no handrail on the side away from the wall. I thought building regs required one?

Regards Bruce

Reply to
BruceB

Building regs do require one.

I've always counted myself a fan of GD, and have even been known to watch the more interesting episodes more than twice on More4. I don't know whether it's just me having become jaded, but last night's was the first one I didn't bother watching to the end. What was interesting about it? I think possibly GD is finally disappearing up its own fundament.

Thinking back on what for me have been the fun bits, I'd like a series on people building Follies. Much more entertaining than all this glass, glass, cladding, blockwork, pseudo-eco bollocks.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Sod grand designs. Tommy Walsh is FAR more interesting and useful.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed, if you can get over the crap jokes, and the set pieces where the customers tell you how much fun it is to work with all their jolly banter.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Well that is probably true, and judguing by my experience, that sort of banter is comon enough in the 'Trade'

Carpenters put an X on the plasterboard here. 'what's that' I said 'Gibbon trap'

???

Next day 'We caught one!' 'What?' 'A gibbon!'

Sure enough one of the labourers had put a nail straight through the X straight into the pipe behind it.. ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is that the one that is completely self-levelling and very runny, and it just sets perfectly leve ? Anydrite or something. I looked at that. Its quite expensive if you don't include labour.

Most "self-levelling" stuff is really self-smoothing, you cannot just leave it to set like a pond.

Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Apart from access there were no problems and it came in under budget.

Reply to
Peter Johnson