Re: good price for deWalt cordless drill with 13mm chuck?

To me it was just a grey Wickes power tool. A grey Wickes crappy power tool.

Before this thread I didn't know who they sent it back to but I think it was you who said Kress made all of these.

Reply to
G&M

Stop making things up. You never went in.

Reply to
IMM

It's a Kress. Ask them and they tell you. Also look at the Kress site.

Reply to
IMM

But what if they were shopping power tools?

Reply to
IMM

Come on IMM. You were arguing quite well then you ruin it. Wickes are good for kitchens and so on. But power tools - forget it.

Reply to
G&M

If you asked at our Wickes who the OEM was they'd assume you meant some funny disease or something.

Reply to
G&M

I wasn't commenting on the tools, just the quality of Wickes tool aisles. Never any stock, everything there is locked away, assistants never have the keys and don't know the difference between an angle grinder and a hammer drill when they get them.

Reply to
G&M

Must be your branch then. My local one is excellent.

Reply to
IMM

You miss my point, I don't dispute some of their tools are Kress (OEM) they are - but many others they sell are not - they buy from a variety of OEMs ranging from the good to the bad and the ugly.

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't believe that argument holds water when you compare like with like. Lets have a look shall we:

I would say the 4340 Jigsaw at 114 represent very good value for an excellent tool. Hitachi about the same price, Freud a little more, industrial bosh half as much again, festool, double the price etc.

9" Angle grinder: Makita 84 inc diamond disc, 94 for the bosch (inc disc), 117 for the dewalt, 78 for the Hitachi. Seems fair enough? 1/4" Router: Makita 93, DeWalt 105, Trend 98 not much of a difference there...

Plenty more examples if you look...

Reply to
John Rumm

Well only buy the Kress models. That is easy to figure out.

Reply to
IMM

The Milton Keynes one, presumably.. Do you go there in your Avensis? How Middle Class/Middle England....... :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nope.

Don't have one. Nice car though.

You were at one time saying MK is all slobs and sink estates. Now you say it is Middle England. I think Labour or the LibDems are in control, so they must be intelligent there.

Reply to
IMM

Assuming you mean intelligence, then there are the concrete cows who surely have a higher IQ than the average Labour voter.

Reply to
G&M

Your branch of Wickes must be unique then. I've never found a branch yet that had competent staff who had any interest in the customer. I wouldn't touch Wickes branded power tools under any circumstances as the general support level is crap and the prices are too high for cheap tools. If I want cheap tools, then Focus/Homebase/B & Q/ Argos/Screwfix sell me a very cheap product which may or may not be crap. At their prices, I don't care. If I want better quality of support, then I'll either buy DeWalt(B & D),Bosch, Sears, etc for which spares are available and which generally are better designed and tested before being unleashed upon the unsuspecting amateur user. I've known failure of some of these products, but repair is frequently possible even after

20 years of use. Wickes small tools are unrepairable generally after less than 3yrs. The exception is rebranded Belle concrete mixers, for which spares are readily available, but they are a uk company.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

What! Even Boche!! I've had a couple of machines from them that have needed repair (router, jigsaw), and it turned out to be uneconomic to fix them (even for a DIY repair). Same for "De Walt". About the only component worth replacing seems to be sets of brushes, or the flex.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

I don't believe you.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

You are quite right not to. An elementary calculation shows the statement to be fatuous:

World population approximately 6,000,000,000. Combined population of UK, US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Japan (1992 figures): 663,000,000

According to John Rumm, therefore, only ~10% of the combined population of the above countries has access to electricity, clean water or enough food.

Reply to
SteveS

Ah, an evasion. Perhaps it would be better to stop helping clog up this NG with dross, by refraining from tango alpha roger tango baiting! Ta.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

Refraining from "tart"? How would Maxie feel? You must consider his sensitivities.

Reply to
IMM