Re: Gas Torch for plumbing

& p is extra
What's the benefit of Mapp gas. I know that propane is hotter than the propane/butane mixes. I see you can get it for some of the Bernz-O-Matic torches as well.
The Bernz is my choice - 20 B&Q with propane in the 'plumbers' version. The GoGas range scare me as the cylinders and plastic seem easily damaged.
Toby.

I meant the plastic mouldings used with canister & torch. I don't have the torch but my mate dropped his, snapped the base and can't stand it up safely now.
Toby
Also what is 'Mapp Gas'?
extract from http://www.twi.co.uk/j32k/protected/band_3/jk50.html "MAPP MAPP gas which is a mixture of various hydrocarbons, principally, methylacetylene and propadienne, produces a relatively hot flame (2927C). However, the lower calorific value of the inner cone compared with acetylene gives a slightly slower pierce time. The gas is seen as an alternative to acetylene with greater tolerance to torch distance variation because of the more uniformly distributed heat between the inner and the outer cones.
Only acetylene, hydrogen and MAPP have sufficiently high flame temperature for underwater cutting. But as acetylene has a limited outlet pressure, MAPP is the only gas other than hydrogen that can be used for cutting in deep water."
Never used it, but seems popular with many. If I solder (rather than pushfit) my impending CH, it looks worth investigating
Interested to hear about the Javac torch.
Jono

<AOL>
I have quite a selection, a couple of Coleman torches and two Bernzomatic ones. One of the Bernzomatics uses oxygen but it's rather a waste of time because the O2 only lasts about five minutes. The other is a "swirl" type torc and good for all fittings up to 28mm. I've not tried it on anythign bigger. Buy an oxyacetylene flint striker for use with the torch it makes lighting it a doddle.
--
It was so cold that politicians were walking around with
their hands in their own pockets.

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com

Thanks for the advice all of you. I'll be returning to the UK tomorrow so if I get one of these Javac torches I'll feedback
Cheers
David