Re: FYA: An extract from Lionel's nfilter config

Why bother? It's not all it's hyped up to be. Just get more IDE.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Problem at the moment is that WinXP has a little performance problem with it.

But, I'm sure MS will be fixing that rightaway . . . .

Reply to
ah

S'posed to be more responsive, and imbued with greater longevity....

Reply to
ah

Let's see what we can purchase in the UK.....

£103.28 - 7200rpm 250GB IDE. For this price we can either go for a 15000rpm 18.4GB U320 or a 10000rpm 36.7GB U320.

WTF is the point in a drive that small? And there is no way it would be any faster, larger drives are much much faster, especially when you are using a small amount of them only. I don't care what interrface they use, the mechanics wouldn't go any quicker. It's liking buying a car capable of going 3 times faster than you'll ever drive it - the acceleration is plentiful.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

The IDE raid card I bought has all the SCSI personalities built in.

How does an interface make the spindle last longer?

SCSI is a dying breed. SATA or firewire or something, that's what you want.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

faster, larger drives are much much faster, especially when you are using a small amount of them only. I don't care what interrface they use, the mechanics wouldn't go any quicker. It's liking buying a car capable of going 3 times faster than you'll ever drive it - the acceleration is plentiful.

*points at brick wall*
Reply to
ah

Honda has a car with Farrari personality built-in, to . . . .

Got it; still a heck of a neck on that bottle.

Reply to
ah

faster, larger drives are much much faster, especially when you are using a small amount of them only. I don't care what interrface they use, the mechanics wouldn't go any quicker. It's liking buying a car capable of going 3 times faster than you'll ever drive it - the acceleration is plentiful.

?
Reply to
Peter Hucker

And honda make very good cars. Your point?

Bullshit. I can get over half a GB per second on my RAID card. I've yet to see drives that need this.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Peter Hucker wrote in :

wonce...but

Bring Out Da Funk, yo...

Reply to
Dyno Mutt

Cancel that, bring out the ibuprofen.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

faster, larger drives are much much faster, especially when you are using a small amount of them only. I don't care what interrface they use, the mechanics wouldn't go any quicker. It's liking buying a car capable of going 3 times faster than you'll ever drive it - the acceleration is plentiful.

That's my blood you see there.

Reply to
ah

drives that need this.

Yet you earlier conceeded the bottleneck . . . ?

Reply to
ah

Word out.

Reply to
ah

faster, larger drives are much much faster, especially when you are using a small amount of them only. I don't care what interrface they use, the mechanics wouldn't go any quicker. It's liking buying a car capable of going 3 times faster than you'll ever drive it - the acceleration is plentiful.

Did a Cheetah drive break free and slice your finger off?

Reply to
Peter Hucker

drives that need this.

With my old card yes. But the bottleneck was with the PCI slot it was in, not the IDE part.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Peter Hucker wrote in :

Whachoo talkin-bout Willis...