re furbishing a barbecue

Hi everyone,

I've got a tandoori oven style barbeque (Steel underneath) where some of the parts have the coating flaked off and have gone rusty over the winter. (legs and wind sheild bits mostly)

can I just wirebrush the rust off or treat it with rust remover then re-hammerite it?

The windsheild bit would get pretty hot, because it supports the grill rack when used as an open barbecue. Is there a special metal paint for hot situations?

I don't want to get rid of the barbecue bit and just buy a new one because it's fairly sturdy in construction and actually cooks stuff quite well.

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

there is a stove paint that is designed for woodburning stoves, that I would use in preference..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

sounds good, do you have a reference? or is it just called "stove paint"

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

Steve Firth

I got mine IIRC at a builder merchants. General purpose matt black for all fire areas

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thank you to mr natural philosopher

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

harry wrote: [snip]

Hammerite is not rubber based, it is a styrenated alkyd resin with inorganic fillers and pigments. It's not designed for use on hot surfaces.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I thought this was about furbishing a barbecue but what you actually meant was 'refurbishing a barbecue'.

What's with this modern fashion for splitting perfectly good words into their component parts which often don't mean the same thing?

Reply to
tinnews