Re: FOAK: Low energy light bulbs and dimmer switches

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Verdigris saying something like:

Are there any low-energy bulbs which will go in a standard bayonet fitting >and work with a dimmer switch? Or will I need to replace the switch if I >want to be (more than usually) green?

x-posted.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Not commonly available in the UK IIUC. So yes you will need to change the switch.

Reply to
John Rumm

IIRC, CFLs that can be dimmed with a normal dimmer are available in some countries, but not seen them on sale here.

This might help:-

Dave Plowman (News)

You'll need to change the switch to a standard on/off, but the following CFL bulb can be dimmed.

Dulux EL Vario Dimmable Compact Fluorescent from

two-step dimmer function of the Osram Dulux EL Vario. You can now choose between full lighting or lighting dimmed about half as bright. All you have to do is switch the lamp off and then on again within three seconds, the brightness is reduced by half, thus saving 60% power.

Watts Fitting Order Code price each

23W ES (E27) LP02250 about a tenner plus VAT 23W BC (B22) LP02251 ditto
Reply to
Adrian C