Re: Floor screeding disaster?

Firstly thanks to Mike Taylor for the suggestion of slate across the

> cavity,and thanks to Michael Mcneil for replying to my question about > making a dry mix for screeding. > > Yesterday, we made the mix, placed it, but I am now wondering if we > made it too dry! > It compacted in the hand when squeezed, but absolutely no excees > moisture was present. > > I wet the slab four times during the day before laying, and PVA'd 5:1 > as we screeded. > > Even after covering the screed with polythene, the top surface just > became dust, so today I went over the screed with a mist sprayer and > trowelled the surface. > However, it is still suspiciously loose on top. > > Should the mix have been wetter, or is it normal for the top to become > a bit loose as it cures? > > Is it irredeemable? - am I going to end up needing to seal it or put a > self leveler on to hold it together. Or dig the whole lot out :-( > > Thanks in advance > > Bill M

too many unknowns Bill, need more info. Mix, depth, just how dry it was, how well it was tamped, etc

Even at the worst, if its just for domestic use you'd only need to dig it out if it was loose, otherwise it could just be glued - but hopefully its nothing like that bad!

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Thanks for the quick replies.

We aimed for 3:1 (agg:cement) mix. The aggregate is washed grit (sharp sand). I specifically mentioned screeding when ordering, it's the right stuff.

Depth 65 mm.

When laying it on the slab I compacted it underfoot before bringing up the level with a straight edge across the screeding rails. I used a plastic float then finished with a steel float.

To my mind it wasn't wet enough to bring the fines up - at all. This rang alarm bells, but the stuff kept coming in the wheelbarrow - mix after mix!

I'll give it a slow but more through wetting followed by another steel trowelling today. It's 36 hours since it was laid, the bulk of it is solid so if there is any unhydrated cement and small particles I might just be able to bring them to the surface where they will do some good. Otherwise I guess I will just have to seal it when cured.

When I screeded the cloakroom I made it too wet. This made it impossible to level, even in such a small area. Now too dry for the utility we have just done. Hopefully, should get it right in time for the kitchen...

Cheers

Bill

Reply to
Bill M