Re-fixing halogen downlighters.

I'm trying to re-fix some halogen downlights in the ceiling, after painting it, but they won't stay up. When I removed them, I found that the builder had fixed them with some clear silicon-type stuff, so I tried some silicon-sealant I found in the shed. I apply a good thick bead, but the lights drop out of the ceiling immdiately I let go of them. Surely this isn't how they are usually fixed? I'd appreciate some help/suggestions! Thanks.

They're usually held in by over centre spring wire clips. Never known them to be glued in place.
--
*Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle drugs.

Ah, thanks. We found some wire clip thingies that the builder left behind, but can't work out how they fit.

The fitting itself should have two lugs sticking up from the inside edge. They should have two prongs that jut out from the sides of the lugs which the coil piece of the springs hold on to. The springs themselves will have a long loop section and shorter ends. The short ends sit against the edge of the hole in the ceiling and the coil pulls the long loop down toward the inside of the ceiling.
To fit them in the holes, you need to point the long loop upward into the hole first, then press the fitting in the hole and the spring should pull it up and in with a decent bit of force. If you find the fittings are still a bit loose, then you can bend the long loop, about half way along the length of it, downward toward the fitting to give a bit extra grip against the inside of the ceiling.

Thank-you, thank-you! With your help and a little head-scratching, we got there. It seems so simple now. Those clips are pretty clever! Thanks again, and to all who replied. : )

Presumably he couldn't either, and that's why he didn't use them :)
--
A. Top posters.

mike r

Yeh, but you're not charging for it. ;-)
--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter

It's possible the ceiling is too 'thick' ie plasterboard over lath and plaster for then to work, I suppose.
--
*I brake for no apparent reason.

I had a similar problem with one of mine when I took it down to replace the transformer. I bought a new one and a few spares (knowing the builders of this house I am sure there will be more that need replacing) from Screwfix, they were only 99p each.
Angela

Steve,
Either use masking tape strips across the fitting whilst the silicon sets, or use a hot glue gun whose glue will cool and set as you hold them up.
Andrew

And melt again when they're switched on?
--
*If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.

Masking tape might work, but hot glue certainly won't. When the lights are on and get hot the glue will melt.
I once had an office with metal frame windows. Decided to stick up some light plastic blinds. Short of materials and not wanting to drill the metal frames I had the marvellous idea of using my hot glue gun to hold the blind clips. They held solid and looked great....until the summer arrived. Bit of heat from the sun and down they all went.