Re: Fixing earth wire to existing s/s splashback

I have a long s/s splashback fitted with surface-mounted sockets (nowhere

> near hob or sink). It seems wise to earth the splashback just in the event > that, one day, a loose live connection in a socket may come into contact > with one of the socket fixing screws, and make the splashback live. The > mains earth wires are connected to the chrome metal switch/socket earth > connection points. Unfortunately the splashback and sockets are already > mounted. > > So, can anyone suggest a way of fixing an earth wire to the splashback?. I > can't use a nut&bolt as there is no access to the rear of the splashback, > the best I can think of is to drill a hole, put in a wallplug behind the s/s > and put in a panhead screw & spring washer - then fix the earth via this. > But I'm not sure if this will be OK over time... > > Thanks - Paul. >

Hi,

You should definitely bond your splashback.

I've read through your suggested solution a couple of times, but I'm not sure what you're getting at.

If you can find somewhere unobtrusive to put the earth wire on the splashback (and somewhere where it won't be disturbed) then I suggest you put a ring crimp on the end of the earth wire, drill a tapping sized hole for a M5 taptite screw and then use a washer and star washer to screw the crimped earth wire in. Tweak it up nice and tight (making sure you don't strip the thread, though!) and you should be good for the best part of some considerable time.

HTH

Smudger

Reply to
Smudger