Re: External painting in the rain

Well, I wouldn't paint water based paint with the slightly chance of drizzle. I can imagine that some solvent paints won't mind too much, though, especially if rubbed down between coats to remove the blotches.
Christian.

David,
It is highly probable that they were in fact just putting on the base coats or undercoats which are not so susceptible to the damp and the finish is not critical and easily repaired if damaged.
In my opinion, external painting should not be done when the weather is damp as a film of moisture is left on the surface of what is being painted even after being wiped down and this does not make for good adhesion of the paint.
I would be interested to hear the opinions of the professional painters on this subject.
Brian
Brian wrote in message ...

equivalent of thinning them down. As long as the rain isn't heavy enough to actually wash the paint off, damp weather is better than warm sunshine. Oil based paints need bone dry conditions though. Water plays havoc with the film formation.

I would not be putting water based paints on the outside of the house ? Surely this would not be a good idea :-)
Andy

The stuff I've got claims to last 7 years on exterior woodwork. It's moved on a bit in the last few years. Environmental concerns and all that.
Christian.
On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 18:24:55 +0200, " snipped-for-privacy@nospam.co.uk"

FWIW I did a little experiment using both water and oil based paints, I stripped and repainted my workshop windows using dulux oil based paint on one window and very cheap Wilkinson brand water based paint on the other, at the same time I repeated the experiment on my back porch windows.
Three years later, to my surprise the windows painted with water based paint is in far better condition than the oil based which is now peeling off!
I often use water based paints on the outside because the stuff dries so quick that you can easily paint three coats in a day and get the job done, which is very useful if the job has to be done whilst up a ladder.
John.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.co.uk wrote:

Plenty of paints use a water suspesnion of pignment and binder that, on contact with air, set to form an impermable and non water-dissolvable result.
My whole hopuse is painetd with such - Santex exterior paint. You can wash the brushes in water...if yiu are fast about it. Let em dry (set?) tho? Forget it!