Re: examples of digital rip-off

No.

Reply to
Conor

You missed off the smiley, or are you really that stupid?

Reply to
Adrian

He said he was getting his signal from Crystal Palace, analogue and digital are group A.

Reply to
Adrian

That's total bollocks, and it will only get worse once they have us all over the digital barrel and start pumping even more channels down the same mulitiplexes.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Are you watching the same digital signals as the rest of us?

Reply to
Paul Martin

These DIY shed aerials are all wideband, and many are crap.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Maybe it's the cross-posting, but some contributors simply don't seem to be seeing that, for Crystal Palace, ALL the digital MUXes ARE within the Group A bandwidth. They are between Chs 22 and 34 inclusive.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

As it isn't as good as good analogue;!...

Now digital satellite does look good:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

But is there any good analogue any more? Surely what we get these days is digital converted to analogue?

And, even if you do get a 'good' analogue signal, there's a good chance that it will be co-channel with a not-too-distant digital MUX. Even under 'flat' propagation conditions, the SNR can be visibly impaired, and if there's a 'lift' on, the analogue signal can be virtually unwatchable.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Until there's heavy snow or rain.

Reply to
PeterC

Yes, you are right, digital terrestrial has a better picture quality than analogue, (provided nothing moves of course).

Reply to
Graham.

In article , Ian Jackson scribeth thus

Yes thats right .. but its at rates the like of which you'll never see as an end user;)....

No problems here from Sandy Heath..

And what makes you think that -digital- transmission is immune to CCI?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Not if you have an adequate -rain fade- margin in the system;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Graham. scribeth thus

Even then the colour grading leaves a few bits to be desired;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

There are very occasionally rain storms which are so heavy that there's no signal whatsoever that gets through them. I've experienced that one.

Oh, and if the snow settles heavily on your dish, there's not going to be much signal until it thaws or you knock it off. (This happened to me in early December.)

Reply to
Paul Martin

It used to be analogue all the way to the transmitter. Then it was analogue, to digital to analogue. Then it was digital to digital to analogue. Now its digital to digital to digital to either analogue or digital depending on the display.

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" writes

So can I take that as a qualified 'yes'?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

In article , Paul Martin scribeth thus

I've seen -one- of them in the last Ten years that took the feeds to the land based TX'es out;!...

Compared to the impairment caused by CCI thats not bad going Dontcha think?..

Not a problem here with the odd shape of the LNB blocks in use..

Reply to
tony sayer

Well, hello Paul! How's ZN doing these days? I often wonder how Zetland is progressing.

Reply to
PeterC

No, and there never was.

People tend to put on rose-tinted spectacles (and headphones!) when they recall the "golden age" of vinyl records, analogue TV, Radio 1 on AM (Medium Wave). My grandparents fondly remembered 78 RPM records and didn't like new fangled 33.3 RPM vinyl LPs, even when played in stereo. People just cling on to old things and feel threatened by anything new.

As far as I am concerned, digital terrestrial is a huge improvement on even the best analogue picture I have seen. In my experience, the picture quality of digital satellite (BSkyB) is not as good as Freeview; I have both.

Other people have different experiences, and I respect that. But making dogmatic statements about analogue being fundamentally better than digital isn't helpful, because it just isn't true.

Reply to
Bruce