Re: Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing?

Are Electronic/Automatic welding masks as good as they seem to be?

> From my experience of Arc and MIG welding (fairly limited) an > automatic mask that I can see through when not welding sounds like an > absolute boon, is this borne out in practice? > > ... and has anyone seen any good prices? Cheapest one I've found so > far is the one at cromwell.co.uk for £69.27. > > -- > Chris Green ( snipped-for-privacy@x-1.net)

for the most part they are brilliant, been using them for the past 5 years, think mine was £240 when I got it. The only downside is if you're using it in confined spaces or welding small structures where part of what you're welding may cover the sensor above the visor this will cause it to go light, also some of the cheaper ones I've tried work well for Mig and stick they are not to good for tig welding where again they dont seem sensative enough to DC welding to work correctly.

Reply to
Frank

Thanks, I'm only going to use one (if I get it) for stick and/or MIG welding, so that final problem won't affect me. While looking around I saw one specifically for TIG that was actuated 'magnetically' by the TIG welder being energised.

Reply to
usenet