Re: Electric vs gas water heating in the summer?

> > When we renew it we'll probably change to oil and then I would guess the

> > oil will be cheaper than electricity all through the year. > > You've not heard the news tonight, then? ;-) >

Yes, but 'oil' in the news sense includes LPG unfortunately. I suspect that 'oil' in a tank in my garden will continue to be significantly cheaper than LPG in a tank in my garden even when both go sky high in price.

We have lots of wood, maybe we'll go for a wood burning central heating boiler.

P.S., why are the called boilers, they (hopefully) don't boil the water.

Reply to
usenet

The term boiler is historical. The new CORGI exams specify that the term "water heater" be used. If you answer boiler you fail the Qn. The term water heater mixes up an actual heater that heats water for DHW use, so it doesn't improve matters. No one will use the term water heater until makers stop using the word "boiler". Boilers sounds Fred Dibnahish.

A term like "heat generator" would be more specific and not confuse.

Reply to
IMM

My gut feel is that this is true. My house (built in 1987) seems very well insulated and doesn't require a lot of heating.

Reply to
John Fryatt

I didn't bother. I just got a new tank without the hole. What do I want with an immersion heater!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Like whether the walls will be able to hold up the insulation!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

I could have a bath right now with just water from the "cold" tank in the roof space. As we have had such hot weather for a week, the water is tepid, perfectly comfortable enough for a bath.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Well, ok, but the place still seems not to need a huge amount of heating. Maybe it's the three jumpers and thermals that I wear? :-)

Reply to
John Fryatt

And how does the annual cost for DCH on gas compare to heating water on peak time electricity ?

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

"G&M" wrote | > Like whether the walls will be able to hold up the insulation! | I expect they will soon build the insulation and then spray | cement over it to hold it steady. Or something along those lines | anyway.

If you build a straw bale house the bales are held in place by stakes and the cement isn't even required for that, just to protect from the elements (and mice).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Whoops - decimal point in wrong place - 980W per deg C. Walls are gritstone which is useless as an insulator but large quantities of Kingspan are getting there.

Reply to
G&M