Re: DW682K Biscuit Jointer - Angle scale NBG - does it matter?

Well....

DeWalt finally accepted it as a problem after I returned the unit to them. They were unable to give me any reasonable date of when it could be fixed so they agreed to give me a refund. Cheque arrived today.

I have to say that I'm disappointed with the amount of time this took to sort out. I first made contact on the 14 April. Three and a half months. I even more disappointed that DeWalt were unable to find a solution to the problem in a reasonable time frame. This was my first DeWalt purchase. Not a good experience.

Roy (UK)

Reply to
RzB

Well, my experience of DW has been pretty bad with their circular saw. The router (DW621K) is a different kettle of fish altogether.

So, apart from routers, and perhaps the SDS drill that people like in this NG (although there's a cheaper Makita with the same features) I'd not be inclined to go for DW.

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Done...

Reply to
RzB

Noel, Thanks for the response. Do you know who in the UK stock Cable Porter stuff? Thanks, Roy

Reply to
RzB

Thanks Roy.

Please see email reply.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

'fraid it's not "all rosey" there either, I posted this in reply to the version of this thread on rec.ww - you may not have seen it there, so I've cut and pasted my reply to it below for your info.

Clips follows:

************************* This is some coincidence - I just got through with DW over my new (ish) DW 615 router.

One of the big things with DW is the reputation they have for a smooth plunge - well I have had two examples now and they both stuck in exactly the same way if you did the same thing. I spoke to DW and they agreed it was not meant to be like that, and that I should return it for a refund, as it _could_ also be a safety issue. Note I use the word COULD here, as for a lot of the time it may not matter a great deal, but come a careless moment (and we can all have one of them any old time!) Who knows what might happen as a result of the "feature"

If you want to check it out, I can only offer the most general of advice, as you may have local differences with your model or even this problem on a different model.

There are two knobs for holding and operating this one, and one is fixed, and the other twists to lock and unlock the plunge action. If you twist the locking one so that the plunge action is free to operate, and then push down on the OTHER knob, it binds up solid as far as the plunging action goes. OK so you would not plunge with just one hand, but get it uneven during a plunge cut and it may lock up on you and then jump free again depending on how even a pressure you maintain across the pair of handles. With a cutter in the 8000-22000 rpm range you don't need help from this sort of engineering, less still when you paid a supposedly premium price for supposedly premium product.

BTW DeWalt Tech (UK) said this was clearly an important issue, it should not be that way, and that they would call me back that very afternoon. That was over one week ago now, and almost two! I am guessing the supposedly premium price was not for supposedly premium service or support then; Damned if I know what the supposedly premium price is supposed to be for at that point! ;O)

Like the OP, this was my first DW tool, and I think I might be wise to make it my last based on this experience, since with the first example of the tool, there were a few accessory parts missing I have since found out. The second had those parts present, but had the same manufacturing fault (Oh, and those are DeWalt Tech's words, not mine)

*********************** Clip ends.

DW seem to be having a bit of a rough patch at present. Like the look of PC but simply can't spend that sort of cash on one - I could never justify it, sadly. I think I may end up doing something rash and trying a complete unknown - not sure yet! It could be 3rd time lucky though given the first two! ;O)

The Erbauer 1/2" cheapy at Screwfix seems like fair enough value and not a bad spec. Assuming they adhere fairly close to the spec I can't see much to dislike about it. I notice Axminster have it too, in their white range. Both outfits seem to sell mostly good stuff rather than just cheap, so I'm wondering if I should allow myself to be tempted by either of them. Anyone know anything about erbauer brand, I know they do saws too. Every search I've made came up with stuff about them in German, and I don't do German!

Anyone know the likely lifespan of 1/4" Vs 8MM Vs 1/2" in terms of being able to continue to get cutters and the like for them? I'm not sure if 1/4" is on it's way out and 1/2" on it's way in, or what. I could see times when each would be desirable over the other and that all or most should continue, but it's worth asking I guess. The thought of "Fashion" being let loose in a tool market could make things far worse than it might be in other markets.

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Roy,

You'll find Porter Cable / Flex at various tool stockists. The importers are Hamiltons on 01206 762470. Also online you'll find PC at

Rgds

Noel

noel dot hegan at virgin dot net

Reply to
Noel Hegan

Or the Porter Cable site in the States

Noel Hegan

I'll try that little experiment this weekend I think.

Don't know how much of a problem that is with the 621 - never noticed it, and the 621 does have a lot thicker pillar on the plunge lock side due to dust extraction through the pillar, which should make the whole mechanism a lot more rigid.

I would guess that the problem occurs due to slight play in the plunge mechanism which causes the router body to skew slightly thus jamming the other pillar against the lock. However, this is just a guess as I've not tried a 615.

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

I like that dust pillar thing - hope it's not detrimental over time, as it'd be nice to think they have thought about it and solved it!

It's less likely to be in two completely differing models, but who knows! I would expect it to be the case on the 614 as well, as that seems to simply be the 615 without the really rather nice electronics.

I'm going to miss the 615, as I really liked it in just about every other respect. It was a good fit for me and so very nearly a perfect weight and balance to my mind. I feel a bit robbed by this fault to be honest! As we've seen from the OP in this thread, there's no point expecting it to be fixed anytime soon if ever though.

Hope you don't find anything untoward on your 621!

My other router (bought to use the 8mm cutters I am now stuck with) is a revelation; for the pretty much give away £23.99 I paid for it (yes, the tiny Ferm 550w) it's really amazingly good value. Obviously it's short on a few things I would have liked in a router and it's not even meant to be a "world beater" of course at that price. However it's value for money is completely undeniable! Most times it does the job with some planning, and there's a few knacks I have yet to accquire in using it, and I am still hopefull that will all come in time, but will not be overly fussed if it does not. I have no idea what my main router is going to be now and that's feels 'orrible!

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

An update.

I have been fortunate in not having quite such a long drawn out game as Roy on this.

I spoke with Axminster Power Tools again and agreed with them for the unit to go back. They have begun making their own deliveries and collections as of last week using an outsource firm, but with Axminster on the vans.

This wasn't entirely successful. The collection was booked for Tuesday and the van didn't show up - teething troubles I presume.

I spoke with Axminster again on Wedndesday and agreed with them to send the unit in the post. This I did and faxed them the receipt from the post office.

I received a note from them this morning that they have refunded my credit card for the purchase price and the postage. A good outcome and all credit to Axminster for not messing about.

The question now is what to buy as the replacement.

I have found one review, about a year old at the Plans Now site of Woodsmith magazine.

they review

Lamello Classic C2 Freud JS102 Porter Cable 557 Makita 3901 Dewalt DW682 Craftsman Professional Ryobi JM81

The complete review is downloadable (which I did).

They give the Porter Cable the top place, only finding one issue of the alignment mark on the base being too short in some cases.

Lamello came in as number 2 with absence of markings on the angle gauge mentioned as an issue

Makita was next, but gained the award for value because of the price, although it was said to have a poor anti-slip

The aforesaidmentioned DeWalt was not marked down particularly and they did not spot the angle gauge issue, although if one zooms into the pictures in the PDF, the problem is quite clear.

The Craftsman (Sears own brand, I believe) is similar to the DeWalt but with some features that made it inferior such as a knob rather than a handle on the top.

The Freud had issues with stability of fence adjustment but was cheap

The Ryobi was billed as suitable for occasional use.

So I decided to look at the Porter Cable some more. However, that isn't all sweetness and light either.

This leaves me wondering about the choice.

I think that I need to do some more research.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes - difficult decision isn't it. It looks as though the Porter Cable Type 3 is OK. I'm beginning to think in that direction... However, I think I'll hang on for a little longer in the hope that you get one first - and then report back! :-) Cunning eh... :-) Roy

Reply to
RzB

It seems like it might be, doesn't it?

I'm thinking maybe that one or the Lamello Experta would be a good choice. The thing with the PC one would be to check which version would be supplied when ordering.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Don't know if this helps, but I got the same hassle with a DW615 router, and I've bought a cheapy (£24) to replace it while waiting for news of a suitable alternative emerges; the router market seems to have a big gap in it at that price point just now if the DW615 must be rejected.

The cheapy keeps able to work while waiting to see what happens next - I expect something will emerge as a clear cut replacement at it's price point in time.

I'm guessing one could usefully apply this approach to the DW682K too?