Re: Dropping Kerbstones

When I asked vaguely about this with our council (shepway/folkestone) I was told between 800 and 2000 depending on whats involved. Of course, if they are digging up the path alreay I would expect a considerable discount on that as they are doing 90% of the work anyway!
Never went ahead in the end for other reasons so can't give a definate answer.
HTH,
Darren

However this was not a formal quote from the council. Blokes doing the work asked 'want us to drop your kerbstones while we're at it?'. The tea and biscuits could have helped, of course :-)

They should pay you - they'll be selling the granite kerbs ...
Mary

Kevin Rayner wrote:

In Wallsend Tyne & Wear the local council lifted the granite kerb stones from the back alleys and took them to a posher development (in Southsheilds) replacing them with cheaper concrete ones. What a bloody cheek. Maybe your council has an ulterior motive.

they probably moved them before somebody nicked them
tim

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 13:52:34 +0200, tim wrote:

Bristol City Council did the same about 12 years ago. Removing the stone paving slabs and kerbs from one area to put them in a "posh" area. Caused quite a kerfuffle at the time but of course by the time anyone found out what was happening it was to late to do anything about it.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
tim wrote:

<snip>
Steve R -- "Latest gear:- One piece one button suit extremely comfortable, perfect for Relaxation, Sports, Hiking, Swimming, a must have" OOPS sorry you have one!!!

It was 200 here in East Kent a couple of years ago. Same thing - pavement up, tarmac down.
Si
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

the additional cost of a slightly higher rate to pay forever.

Blimey!
I was quoted 800 quid in Folkestone 4 yrs ago.....
Where abouts in East Kent was this?
Darren

It all looks like a bit of a racket to me. A list of 'authorised' contractors that basically charge what they want. I even had one guy who only works for a listed contractor when he's busy come round and, suck his teeth, and give me a 'cash' quote MORE than my other quotes when they included VAT!
I got the best quote I could (about 400 inc vat) for extending an existing dropped kerb and nearly 5m^2 of concrete. They did a neat job, but trying to get them to ensure the crossover was symmetrical (ie same aprons either side of the drive opening) just resulted in blank looks. I had to draw it out for them in the end....
The council have re-krebed and footpathed the next street I asked the lads if they would do mine while they were there... but said they couldn't :-(
Cheers
Neil