Re: Dropping Kerbstones

I have just learnt that my local council are taking up the paving slabs

>in my street and laying tarmac. They are offering to drop the kerbstones >inline with each drive at the same time. This is a 1930's road with granite >kerbs. > The council are going to ring me back with a quote but can anybody give >me an idea of what they are likely to be charging for this?

When I asked vaguely about this with our council (shepway/folkestone) I was told between 800 and 2000 depending on whats involved. Of course, if they are digging up the path alreay I would expect a considerable discount on that as they are doing 90% of the work anyway!

Never went ahead in the end for other reasons so can't give a definate answer.

HTH,

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Did my Mum-in-laws for free. However this was not a formal quote from the council. Blokes doing the work asked 'want us to drop your kerbstones while we're at it?'. The tea and biscuits could have helped, of course :-)

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

They should pay you - they'll be selling the granite kerbs ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Why would they replace the paving slabs are they defective?

In Wallsend Tyne & Wear the local council lifted the granite kerb stones from the back alleys and took them to a posher development (in Southsheilds) replacing them with cheaper concrete ones. What a bloody cheek. Maybe your council has an ulterior motive.

Reply to
Essjay001

they probably moved them before somebody nicked them

tim

Reply to
tim

Bristol City Council did the same about 12 years ago. Removing the stone paving slabs and kerbs from one area to put them in a "posh" area. Caused quite a kerfuffle at the time but of course by the time anyone found out what was happening it was to late to do anything about it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It was £200 here in East Kent a couple of years ago. Same thing - pavement up, tarmac down.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

You could be sooooooo right there Tim :~)

Steve R

-- "Latest gear:- One piece one button suit extremely comfortable, perfect for Relaxation, Sports, Hiking, Swimming, a must have" OOPS sorry you have one!!!

Reply to
Essjay001

Thats my guess too. In the old days of rates before council tax there was the additional cost of a slightly higher rate to pay forever.

Reply to
BillR

It all looks like a bit of a racket to me. A list of 'authorised' contractors that basically charge what they want. I even had one guy who only works for a listed contractor when he's busy come round and, suck his teeth, and give me a 'cash' quote MORE than my other quotes when they included VAT!

I got the best quote I could (about £400 inc vat) for extending an existing dropped kerb and nearly 5m^2 of concrete. They did a neat job, but trying to get them to ensure the crossover was symmetrical (ie same aprons either side of the drive opening) just resulted in blank looks. I had to draw it out for them in the end....

The council have re-krebed and footpathed the next street I asked the lads if they would do mine while they were there... but said they couldn't :-(

Cheers

Neil

Reply to
N.Jowsey

Blimey!

I was quoted 800 quid in Folkestone 4 yrs ago.....

Where abouts in East Kent was this?

Darren

Reply to
dmc